3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3d masking in 3ds Max

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
purplepixel3d masking in 3ds Max
by on Jun 25, 2007 at 12:35:37 am

I'm no Max genius but am suprised it's not easier to find a solution to this problem, maybe it is to people in this forum...anyway here it is:
I want to create a 3-dimensional mask to hide geometry with another (invisible) object. I have no specific models to use with this technique with, i just want to know if this is possible, it seems like it should be. I work in the motion graphics field and it would be great in animating models appearing/growing. basically so object A would be invisible and would cut into Object B like a boolean operation, revealing part of the geometry of B, but object A would be independent and could freely move/ animate like a moving cross section....I know how to make objects invisible and also know abut the matte/shadow material which knocks out the object in 2 dimensions to the background but does not act in a 3d way. I'm suprised that this 3d masking technique isnt a standard effect as I can think of many instances it would be useful for with little effort, a bit like the masking tool in after effects but in 3 dimensions. Anyway if anyone knows how to do this, or perhaps theres a plugin which does this I'd be grateful....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved