3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

edit geometry to match lens distortion

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doohniboredit geometry to match lens distortion
by on May 26, 2007 at 8:39:12 pm

i got an animated camera from a matchmove and some videofootage as background. now i need to add some geometry to the scene.
the problem is, that there is some quite heavy lens distortion on the material. (no fisheye - there are no curves)
moving my geometry in or out is not an option since i have to place it on some existing helpers from the matchmove which breaks if i edit anything on this end.

here is my idea: as a test i placed a simple box inside the scene and edited it's vertexes by using the vanishing points from the footage so that it matches up with the distortion.
now i want to use such a box as a "parent" for my existing geometry, which i want place "inside" of it. the plan is that the distortion is translated relative onto my geometry.

can i put geometry "inside" a simple six sided box and translate any manual deformation that i make on the box relative onto the inside geometry? is it possible at all?

the only thing i have come across so far is the skin modifier, but i am not sure if this is the right approach.

i hope this was not too confusing, but i thought i'd give it a try : )

Return to posts index

mechadusRe: edit geometry to match lens distortion
by on May 29, 2007 at 11:23:43 am

Sounds like a complex problem... I have done several aerial camera matches (mostly flyovers of new development projects) and whenever I have encountered this, I have found its always best to try and match the distortion using the camera settings. We use Vray here, and the Vray physical camera has many more settings than the MAX cameras.

If you cant get the cams to match tho, you can do exactly what you were asking by using an "FFD Box" modifier. Drop it on your geometry, and you can specify the size and subdivisions of a box... when you move the vertices's of the box it will deform all the geometry that modifier is applied to.

Hope that helps

-Nick Kropat

Return to posts index

DoohniborRe: edit geometry to match lens distortion
by on May 30, 2007 at 5:10:15 pm

Hi Nick,
thank you for the great help. The FFD Box is EXACTLY what I was looking for. It's the perfect solution especially because it's animatable.
Matching the camera did not work in this case. I tried it already.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved