3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Un-attaching an object in the middle of animation. . .

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Un-attaching an object in the middle of animation. . .
on Mar 16, 2007 at 5:08:48 am

I'm having a hard time understanding what I can and can not do with controllers / constraints in Max with regards to animation.

Here's the scenario.

I have a 3D model of a tennis racquet and sphere for a ball. What I want to have happen is that the ball is flying through the air, then, when it hits the racquet's surface it gets stuck to it. The player goes nuts and can't get rid of the tennis ball from the face of the racquet no matter how hard he tries, then, I want the ball to finally leave the racquet. Is it possible to do this in the same scene rather than segment the shot? I'd prefer to do this with keys. Is it possible to keyframe the attachment constraint and tell 3DSMax to release the constraint at some point in time?

Thanks for all your help. I know I've been asking lots of questions, but any help you can provide would be great!

Thanks,
Laz.

Return to posts index

dcullipher
Re: Un-attaching an object in the middle of animation. . .
on Mar 16, 2007 at 11:18:24 am

I could be wrong but I do not think you can animate the link variable. However a trick I used to use in Maya was to animate the visability track of the object. So you would have one ball always attached to the racquet and then the bouncing ball. when the ball gets stuck to the raquect hide the bouncing one and hsow the attached one. This can be done in the animation curve editor buy going to the tracks menu and selecting show visibility track for the object.

Return to posts index

Lazlo Hollyfeld
on Mar 18, 2007 at 5:25:54 am

Thanks for the help! The visibility trick works great :) Much appreciated!

Laz.

Return to posts index

hunz25
on Mar 24, 2007 at 4:24:41 am

Hey,

This is very possible and here is how you would do it.

Command Menu (Motion) > Parameters > Assign Controller. Highlight the Parent called Transform and then press the "?" box above it. From that drop down menu there should be "link constraint". You then program this. "link to world" to move it freely and "add link" then select the object (tennis racket) you want. And it'll act like a link until you turn it off at a certain frame.

Hope this helps, I use it all the time esp for hand swapping objects and so on ..

..::hunz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]