3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Animating certain poly's and vertices to audio?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TomAnimating certain poly's and vertices to audio?
by on Feb 17, 2007 at 9:51:02 am

not too long ago, someone asked about randomizing movement. I know I can use constraints on an object or camera, etc. But how can I animate a certain selection of vertices or poly's over time.

I mean I know I can animate them by selecting them and adding keyframes accordingly. But like Trapcode's Sound Keys for AE, is there something similar that I can use to do this? A script, or...

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Animating certain poly's and vertices to audio?
by on Feb 18, 2007 at 11:42:45 am

Hi Tom.

You can put a X-Form or rather a Linked X-Form above of a selection-modifier on the stack of the objekt, you want to animate. In the X-Form you can animate the gismo by using an audio-controller.

What's even better, is using the Linked X-Form. There you can link your selection to another object, lets say a Dummy, and animate this by puting the audio-float on the position etc.

Hope it helps

Frank

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Tom JulianoRe: Animating certain poly's and vertices to audio?
by on Feb 18, 2007 at 9:40:08 pm

Funny you should mention the Dummy idea, I began using that to experiment...

Ok so do I use a separate "selection mod" or do I just keep my "sub selection" active and then put the X-Form above the base modifier in the stack. For example: my object is an editable poly with nothing else in the stack, then I sub-select a certain amount of poly's and vertices and close the stack leaving the selection active.

Do I add the X-Form then or should I still use a separate selection modifier, and select my vertices and poly's?

Plus after adding an audio float, will that allow me to use an actual audio track to keyframe the scene? I've never used that before so I was just wondering?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom JulianoRe: Animating certain poly's and vertices to audio?
by on Feb 18, 2007 at 11:05:10 pm

Ok so here are results, it's got me baffled...

I figured out that I should use a separate selection modifier on top of my object in the stack. No problem there, I select the vertices and or poly's and then add my Link-Xform on top of that, and select a dummy for the control object.

- however when I do this, my poly's and or vertices go out of control, they jump way of base, cross eachother, etc. as soon as I select the dummy as the controller. Any ideas as to why???

The Audio Float makes my keyframes linear in the curve editor (even if they were previously animated). Is that right?

So with this in mind, I added a Audio Position constraint to the Dummy that allowed me to select a specific audio file for the animation. This is what I wanted, but now I am curious about a few settings. I am going to look at the manual but may be you can assist me here.

1. Absolute Value - do I need to check it?
2. Enable Real-Time Device - I doubt I need this right?
3. Sampling, is the Threshold value to control or limit the animation????
4. Target points, these are for where I want my vertices and poly's to end up based on the audio track right?

So besides for the above questions, I am really curious as to why my vertices shoot off uncontrollably. FYI, the original base model was created from Illustrator paths that were then scaled to about 3,000 percent using the X-Form Mod, and then collapsed into an editable spline.

Could that have something to do with this???

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Julianowith some patience, I fixed my scene...
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 5:26:09 am

hello there,

Ok, I figured out why my vertices and poly's were flying all over the place when I selected the Dummy as a controller for the Link-XForm. My original spline was imported from a legacy Illustrator file (for compatibility).

However either way, MAX does not like the path information that Illustrator creates. Whether I use X-Form or not in the stack. What I found was, if I uncheck the "Back Transform" switch in the rollout for the Link-XForm, everything bounces back to normal.

If I start off with splines that originate inside MAX then Link-XForm doesn't care whether or not this item is checked.

I also figured out the Audio Position constraint so thank you for the tip, mostly common sense after I looked at it for a bit. So now everything is working quite nicely. But one thing to note, I decided to use the Expose Transform instead of the Dummy, it offers me so much more control overall.

All I have to do now is bake the animation per object so I can offset my timing for other objects... :>) Sweeeeet...

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: with some patience, I fixed my scene...
by on Feb 21, 2007 at 8:30:36 pm

Hi Tom.

Great to hear, that you could achive, what you planned. I think, the trouble with the Illustrator path, is based on the high amount of vertices, they usualy get through the import, not to speak about the bezier-tangents.

The Dummy-Link is the most common way, 'cause mostly the X-form is animated in dependency to another object.

till next time

Frank

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Tom JulianoRe: with some patience, I fixed my scene...
by on Feb 21, 2007 at 9:21:51 pm

Hi there,
I thought about the amount of vertices originally, but the file had only about 64 in total between 5 separate objects (paths), so I would think there wouldn't be a problem there. I do know from experience, that although Illustrator paths are supported, they can be sometimes problematic in the long run depending upon how you handle them after import.

Anyhow, yes 'til next time, thanks...

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]