3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

animated GIFs as bump maps?????

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ploughmananimated GIFs as bump maps?????
by on Dec 11, 2006 at 11:37:14 pm

I had a thought about 3D animation while sitting on the porcelain throne 5mins ago... Can you use animated GIFs as bump maps?... 'cause if not, I think I thought of something really cool, with lots of applications.
Think of it...simple ripples/waves for water... alien skin...
One example I came up with was for something with an area that pulses...instead on keyframing the culge, youd make a simple GIF that looped...
I think this is a good idea...thoughts?

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: animated GIFs as bump maps?????
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:36:41 pm

Yuk! animated GIF's. Just put the "loop" into *.avi, *.mov or whatever then run it through your appropriate channel. Hope this helps ....

Return to posts index

John_ogroatRe: animated GIFs as bump maps?????
by on Dec 28, 2006 at 3:05:30 pm

yep, .gifs, video AVI's or whaterver can be used as bumps, also reflection maps, specular, diffuse etc..

You can also animate the parameters of 3DsMaxs own material properties just like any other animation. E.G try animating the 'seed' of your noise bumpmap so that the surface goes all liquid-like.

I often make animated maps in After FX for my models.

EG imagine a rusty spoon, you could use photoshop or after fx to make the rust, then make another version in black+white with high contrast and use that as the 'specular map'.
This way, you can easily make your spoon shiny except for where the rust is.

this could all be done with animated AVI's from After FX for example, to make some really cool 'grow' effects. like a spoon growing rusty over time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved