3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Volumetric Light color banding

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
natetomVolumetric Light color banding
by on Nov 29, 2006 at 3:14:27 pm

My problem is with color banding when using volumetric lights in 3D Studio Max. Im using the latest version, 9, but I've had this problem in previous versions too:

I've noticed this issue in lots of applications, but here is my specific problem. I've got a dark scene, with lots of scaffolding to create shadows. I have one light source, an overhead Volumetric light, using shadow mapped shadows (the problem happens with all shadow types though). The density of the volumetrics is fairly low, so you can see through it. The effect is like a hazy dark warehouse. Anyway, there is very noticeable banding in the volumetric light. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I've turned true color dithering on and off...nothing, changed the resolution of the shadow map, the bias, nothing. Even changing the intensity of the effect, nothing.

Return to posts index

Arson XLRe: Volumetric Light color banding
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 7:26:41 am

use ray traced and not shadow mapped shadows
it will take A LOT longer to render but will not have the same banding.
the low res/color depth of the shadow map may be whats causing the banding. Max will blend better between the steps with ray traced shadows.

Return to posts index

alan ellisRe: Volumetric Light color banding
by on Dec 13, 2006 at 6:21:20 am

If you are going to comp in a high end ap or even after fx/combustion use a higher bit depth when rendering, use video filter if using the default renderer, also render out an alpha of your main target so the comp guy can blur the volumetric lights as an additional layer, both have worked for me,
hope this helps

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Volumetric Light color banding
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:37:07 pm

Tweak your settings especialy your density and intensity values. Hope this helps ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved