3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
by on Nov 16, 2006 at 8:44:53 pm

I am trying to model a MAC-11A1 .380ACP machinepistol/submachinegun. The purpose of this model will be for use in a Half-Life 2 mod which me and some friends are making.

I'm relatively new to 3ds Max, but I'm proud of the progress I've made so far.
However, I'm trying to make threading around the barrel of the MAC and can't think of any ways to do it. (For those of you who don't know, barrel threads allow certain accessories like sound-suppressors or barrel extensions to be screwed onto the barrel. Barrel threads look more or less like the threads that you see on screws).

Can someone give me an efficient way to model barrel threads? I think that I have to use some modifiers or maybe I have to make a large array of circles that are connected to one another.

Will barrel threading be noticable in the game to the effect that it would be worthwhile to model them? I doubt it, but I prefer having realism. So please help me. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steven BentleyRe: Threading?
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 10:22:44 pm

Loft a triangle on a helix spline...piece o cake...

Return to posts index

Victor AngryRe: Threading?
by on Dec 5, 2006 at 8:11:44 pm

Don't model this unless you want your in game frame rates to drop to the floor.
Do it in the texture.

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Threading?
by on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:37:33 pm

Take a picture of real threads and then bring into photoshop crop and do what you want to it. Then map that section onto the model area where the treads are to be visable. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved