3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Back Alley

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
OthelloBack Alley
by on Aug 30, 2006 at 7:03:49 pm

First Post for me here. Hi everyone.

Okay, working on this back alley scene and my goal is to make it as dirty as possible. But i am a noob who has only been using mac since Feb so i don't know how to do alot of things.

1 things is how can i unwrap the walls with the textures i have on them now now being affected. So that i can put graffiti on the walls without edditing the existing texture.

Also how can i make the cardboard box look old and beaten up?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

How do you hotlink at this site?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Back Alley
by on Aug 31, 2006 at 1:50:28 pm

While I'm no expert on this, I can point you to a guy who is - Neil Blevins. I've learned probably half of what I know from his tutorials and articles on how to make stuff look real in the 3D world. Start here:

This will get you started on making the objects in your scene look less perfect. Real world stuff is beatup, dinged, dirty, and usually has multiple layers of dust, stains, paint, cracks, etc.. Creating the reality will require you to go into Photoshop and make grunge maps, layers of "reality" that will allow you to distort, disfigure, grungify (is that a word?), and stain your perfect world.

In 3D Studio, do the lengthy tutorial on Unwrap UVW; this will get you going on how to paint custom maps that will put the dents and stains in the right places. Work your way through Neil Blevins site, and you'll wind up a real pro at all aspects of making 3D look real. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved