3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

orange peel effect

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peteorange peel effect
by on Aug 7, 2006 at 9:34:32 pm

Hey guys, brainstorming on doing a humad body (actually waist up) and need an effect like Escher art, my body needs to start like i'm seeing a piece of the ribbon that later on will almost spring back or peel back together the human body.

Not sure how to even start this project in 3D, with modeling and animating modifiers and such, or if i should work with gradient maps and use them as transparencie maps.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

quimbeyRe: orange peel effect
by on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:22:27 pm

seems like a tough one for me personally.
just as a shot in the dark with out actually do it ever:
after you have your model made up of your human, say with the arms at the sides or something, you could try slicing the model the whole way up at the width of the ribbon you want and then animate it backwards pulling it apart, then map the models in two different files one with the ribbon map and one with the skin tone map, running the two passes and put it together with a cross fade in a video app, like after effects or vegas or whatever you happen to use

Return to posts index

PeteRe: orange peel effect
by on Aug 8, 2006 at 11:42:33 am

thanks quimbey, but not really sure what you mean by ..."slicing the model the whole way up at the width of the ribbon you want and then animate it backwards pulling it apart"... i mean i guess i could slic it in cylindrical segments, but my director is actually looking for something more like a ribbon, almost like a DNA strand edge, that eventually springs down to form the human body, hop i'm explaining myself.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Arson XLRe: orange peel effect
by on Aug 14, 2006 at 6:08:25 am

this is an advanced effect to accomplish. If you aren't an advanced user it's probably best to stick with the basics. Doing something like this isnt as simple as adding an "unpeel" modifier. Even for an advanced user this would require a fair amount of preplanning, and would be a technical challenge. You would need to finalize your model and then make an unpeeled version at each stage of unpeeling to morph through. YOu would have to unpeel it by hand and couldnt guarantee smooth animation between it's morph targets. Effects like this on a feature film would have a team of technical directors and probably some custom coding, and would be done in Alias.

Return to posts index

PeteRe: orange peel effect
by on Aug 15, 2006 at 9:01:12 pm

thanks Arson XL, i though about morph targets but thought maybe was easier, i tend to overthink things, thought it was one of those times.

Thanks all for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]