3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Running out of memory creating simple buildings

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ghekkomanicRunning out of memory creating simple buildings
by on Aug 1, 2006 at 4:03:43 pm

Hi, am new to 3DS max so sorry if this is a stupid question ...

I'm trying to build a grid of skyscrapers - basically I'm making cubes then punching holes in for windows to create one floor and then duplicating them depending on how high I want the buildings.

Only problem is when I get to about 3 or 4 skyscrapers 3DS max starts quitting on me when I duplicate grouped floors. I've just lost the last two hours work because the file somehow became corrupted!!

Any ideas for a quicker, easier way than this?
Thanks in advance ...

Return to posts index

quimbeyRe: Running out of memory creating simple buildings
by on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:15:44 pm

if a file get corrupted, drag the file from explorer into a new 3ds session and merge the files. it won't always work but does from time to time.
as for your buildings using too much ram, the short answer is use less verts. also if you have very tiny detail in a very large object, it may cause memory issues. I'm sure this is not what you wanna here, but either try just making the model as a cube plus any additional detail for doorways or building tops and put a material over the faces of the buildings. or if you really need holes in the object, say to have a view inside the window, only do it for the floors you really need it for. a trick I've used for flying in or out of a window was to run two passes. one with an opaque window and one with the window removed and only having the details inside the room when all you can see is that one single building.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved