3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Using very large bitmaps

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois StarkUsing very large bitmaps
by on Jul 3, 2006 at 12:12:14 pm

I need to render a model of the earth and want to use a bitmap that is 80 000 by 40 000 pixels as a UWV map (yes, that's not a typo).
If I try it with the standard UVW map the farm die when rendering.

I heard there is a plugin that will allow us to use such large bitmaps in the material library but I can not find anything like that. Any ideas?

We actually went through the trouble of breaking down the bitmaps into 200 smaller ones and I wrote a macro that assigned the correct bitmap in the correct sub-material to create the correct map of the earth, but we could see the seams between the maps. We tried everything to solve the seam problem: double up one line of pixels per map, delete one line of pixels per map, overlapping the map - nothing owrks for getting rid of the seams.

Return to posts index

Francois Starkwww.wavgen.com
by on Jul 5, 2006 at 1:28:50 pm

Wavgen uses wavelet compression to compress extremely large bitmaps to jpeg2000 format. This should allow us to use this bitmap. We're still testing it.

Return to posts index

WildfireRe: www.wavgen.com
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 1:50:55 pm

I have pretty much the same texture, maybe slightly smaller. Could you not use a proxy to set up the mapping and change the texture at render?

Return to posts index

Francois StarkRe: www.wavgen.com
by on Jul 8, 2006 at 9:31:05 pm

We tried that. It's the render that falls over. Freezes up the machines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved