3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

diamond model - How to map this object???

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
deeclee
diamond model - How to map this object???
on Jun 28, 2006 at 2:43:51 am

Hello!

I finished modelling a diamond and I need help on how to make it look decent.

I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to give it the best possible look but I did not even get close to satisfactory results.

If anyone has any idea on how I could make this, please respond to this S.O.S.

Thanks in advance for taking a minute to help me.

Deeclee

Return to posts index

Steve Whiteley
Re: diamond model - How to map this object???
on Jun 28, 2006 at 9:17:28 am

Have you tried refraction and reflection maps?

Steve whiteley
Animation Director
Gizmo Animation Limited

http://www.gizmoanimation.co.uk

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 28, 2006 at 3:41:47 pm

This can be a tough one. If you're going for a "real" raytraced look, use a raytrace texture on the diamond, and then put elements in the composition that are going to reflect off of the diamond. Your render will be black unless you put some elements in the composition that will reflect.

It works quite well to just position a number of white planes, positioned so that the camera you're using will actually see the reflections in them from where the diamond is positioned. It works out pretty well to work in the top view when you're positioning the white planes that you want to reflect, since you can see the camera and the rough angle that you're going to want the planes to reflect from. You can even map a plane with an environment that you might want to reflect, or a chrome type texture map; it all depends on what you want the reflections to look like in the final render, and whether your job is going on to some compositing software where you might make the specular highlights throw off sparkles.

It's very tough the first time around, but once you do this type of project you'll get it. Good luck.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

deeclee
on Jun 28, 2006 at 10:37:03 pm

Thanks Joseph!

I already had the raytrace material on (as used on a knife blade).

Positionning white planes as you proposed did make my diamond a lot whiter, but still I can't get that glassy reflection look, just as if it was transparent. Maybe I didn't set the raytrace material as it should be??

Anyway, I will keep juggling with all of the parameters and see if I can get closer.

If you have any other idea, please fill me in.

Thanks again.

deeclee

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:11:20 pm

If you have the time, check out this tutorial on the various issues of rendering a realistic object in Max. There are so many aspects to it, including IOR, reflection, sub-surface scattering, etc., that it could take years to explain it (and I have years to go myself toward understanding how light works with various materials).

http://dxyner2000.com/tutorials/tut4.1.htm

This is a good starter, but if you want a full education on light characteristics in the real world, look no further than Neil Blevins. This guy is a genius and a killer 3D artist (TD at Pixar), and he is perfectly willing to share his knowledge with the world. His glass tut is great, but it focuses on using Brazil as the rendering engine, so I didn't think it appropriate here. Here's his site:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm

In many of the tutorials he even provides the .max file of the scene; very useful stuff! If you've got six months and his tutorials, you'll emerge on the other end a master! (talent not included)

Joe Bourke

Return to posts index

deeclee
on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:29:57 pm

Master Joe!!

Thank you soooo much for those links. I will study it all. I just started modelling 2 weeks ago and feel I already learned a lot.

actually, last night (after about 10 hours juggling with settings) I came up with something pretty decent. Although it's not what an expert would come out with, I am pleased with my results. I still have to move some planes around to make it look better, but basically I believe I succeeded.

Your planes tip was what I needed. THANKS AGAIN.

I appreciate you taking a few minutes of your time helping me directly.

once again, many thanks.

deeclee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]