3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Plz help - Narration to match animation?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nanogirlPlz help - Narration to match animation?
by on May 24, 2006 at 10:26:24 pm

I need some advice. In the past I have made short animations where I have added recorded sound to match after I rendered the scenes, this worked fine because I could see where I needed to put the sound affect for the corresponding action. But now I will be working on a full feature length movie that will have a constant narration happening. Think documentary. The script is being written gradually for the narration, right now there is about a page or so already written so I know what is needed for the initial scene, but since what is already written probably will be modified and I don't know what is going to come next and it also has not been recorded yet so I have no guideline as to how long to make this initial scene. This is where my question comes in, since I don't have a gage or any recorded narration how should I go about setting up my scenes to begin working on the animations now? And how to set up all of the other scenes to match up (there will be a whole lot of them)? I had thought I could extend the length or shorten to match the narration later but this is such a long project that this would be a lot of fixing as we go along, and also since certain objects and ideas in the scenes that will be made have their own exact timelines I could mess it up by increasing or decreasing the speed of the sequences, and I definitely don't want any time filler shots either. What should I do? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

3D Studio Max

Return to posts index

Steve WhiteleyRe: Plz help - Narration to match animation?
by on May 25, 2006 at 11:38:51 am

Hi Gina,

This is the way we usually work - ie animation to voice. You'll save your self a lot of headache if you insist that the script is firmed first! Just record a guide track yourself, with a normal mic/headphones plugged into your PC. Load that into Max as a sound file and animate to it. As a rough guide, voice is usually about 3 words a second.

Steve whiteley
Animation Director
Gizmo Animation Limited

Return to posts index

nanogirlRe: Plz help - Narration to match animation?
by on May 28, 2006 at 9:56:10 am

Thank you Steve.

Return to posts index

James M. MurphyRe: Plz help - Narration to match animation?
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 3:38:20 pm

I'm assuming you don't need to know how to do this and you've already mastered the effect.
The only thing I'd add to Steves message would be that you should either insist they provide the final
version of the dialog and have them sign off on no changes or set up a time and materials billing only
if you have nothing planned for the future 8-)
I've had clients loose their shirt trying to finish projects that never ended because of all the
unbilled changes. Get it in writting from the prinicipals. I can't stress that enough.
Also make sure they sign off on the finished product so they don't come back to you a month later
with changes when you thought you were done.
I'm dead serious about this. I can tell you from personal experience people will do this to you
and think nothing of it.

Sell the Talent you have to communicate effectively through graphics. Use the best tool suited to accomplish the Job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved