3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Reconstruction of a 3d model from an orbital video

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
HawkowskiReconstruction of a 3d model from an orbital video
by on Apr 24, 2006 at 10:42:48 am

I am a novice Cinema 4D and 3d Max Studio 8 user. I think my question is not directly related to these softwares but I don't know where to ask. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Is there any utility, software etc that can be used to create 3D model from an orbital video? For example assume that we have a video of the Eiffel tower recorded from a helicopter while it is orbiting around the tower. Can we create 3D model from this video?

Or, assume that we have defined a camera in C4D or in 3ds orbitting around our 3d object and we created a video file. Can we use this video to reconstruct the 3d object? So that we can compare the original 3d object with the reconstructed one.

Any idea, hint, speculation is welcome

Roberto Hawkowski

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Reconstruction of a 3d model from an orbital video
by on Apr 26, 2006 at 2:39:06 pm

Roberto -

You may be in luck. There's software called Photomodeler Pro that claims to do what you're talking about, but from stills. I would imagine that if you just did frame grabs from your reference video, it might do the job. Here's a link:

It sure looks interesting. Aside from that, standard procedure is to take reference stills of front and side views, then do you spline or patch modeling from those in 3DStudio, or your choice of package. Good luck.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved