3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Problem filling a logo imported as an AI file

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gargoyle13
Problem filling a logo imported as an AI file
on Apr 11, 2006 at 3:51:49 pm

I'm importing an AI built logo, and when I go to extrude it, some of the letters remain hollow.
It's the word "James" in a cursive script, and the "J" and "S" remain hollow when I extrude.
HELP!!!
how do I fill the hollow letters?

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
Re: Problem filling a logo imported as an AI file
on Apr 11, 2006 at 10:05:45 pm

You may have to flip the normals for those particular letters. You may need to do it a letter at a time.

Arie

Return to posts index

Ivon Smith
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:29:11 am

The problems with extruding or Beveling text are as follows:

1.If you get a "fence" type effect, the verts of the spline are not welded somewhere
2.If you get the side & bottom but no top face poly only, the "Oultine" amount is too small (-ve) for the sharpness of a letter corner somewhere or the Bevel has overlapped the letter edge. Capital "A" is an example if it has a sharp point at the top of its cut out centre bit
3.If you get the side & bottom but no top face poly only, this can also happen if the spline loops back on itself at a corner, usually very very tiny & hard to see but still causes problems - Bezier handles being too long can cause this
4.Home made fonts (from 10,000 fonts type CDs) often dont have welded verts or have groups of verts clustered together which can only be seen when very close up. They need welding into single verts.

Return to posts index

gargoyle13
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:20:33 pm

Ahhhhh.... it seems as if my spline has looped back on itself.
Painful.
Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Artkor
on May 31, 2006 at 2:23:30 am

Just as a side note.....Its a good Idea to optimize your imported splines as much as possible before doing any kinda of "modeling". Often times you may get just way more verts than needed and can cause some funky problems.You can usually remove some verts and retain shape via adjusting tangents n stuff. Can save you from using tylenol and ice packs.

Great souls have will,,,weak ones have wishes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]