3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mainid3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Mar 15, 2006 at 8:25:28 pm

Can anyone out there recommend the best video card to use for 3DSMax 8 on a pc? I've got a Dell with a 8X AGP bus slot. I want the best rendering quality.

Return to posts index

garyRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Mar 16, 2006 at 7:41:17 pm

Head over hear for info on that topic, look under hardware. You probably will find that an ATI FX is good.

http://support.discreet.com/webboard/wbpx.dll/~3dsmax/login

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Mar 16, 2006 at 10:35:52 pm

Hi.

First of all, your video card doesn

Return to posts index

Crea_BeaRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Mar 20, 2006 at 1:38:40 am

I recently bought a Sapphire Ati Radeon 9800 SE. What do you think about that card Frank?

Return to posts index

bimo adi prakosoRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Mar 20, 2006 at 4:09:29 am

hi all.

i hope i wouldn't give any misunderstandings here. :)

as far as i know, all radeon and geforce cards are meant for gaming cards. however, since max is also supporting directx acceleration, these cards will perform at its best with direct3d. it will still be better for new radeon and geforce cards as they support directx 9, so we're able to use them to display some supported shaders within the viewport.

the firegl and quadro cards are meant for professional applications. therefore, they're emphasized on their support on opengl and proprietary drivers. quadro cards have maxtreme while firegl cards have maximum for max' viewport driver.

both gaming and professional cards have their own advantage. we only have to decide which one suits us well. afterall, with the rapid development and also tight competition, customers will always benefit most at the end.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Apr 3, 2006 at 6:51:22 am

Graphics cards for 3d modeling make zero difference when it comes to render speed, in a few years they may, but at the moment if your trying to improve your 3d modeling performance you should invest in a faster processor and max out your ram. The only thing a GPU will do is allow you to view in real time more polys on the screen. With that in mind, Radeon or Geforce are fine, Workstation cards like Fire GL and Quadros are good if you are looking for that type of performance. You will be limited since you have an AGP 8x slot, and most new GPUs require PCIe 16x slot. That being said you should be able to get a good card for cheap, since AGP is on its way out.

Anyways if your looking for the ultimate performance you should get a Wildcat Realizm 800 with 640mb of VRAM... but I can't imagine it would do you much good... if I were you get the best Radeon Card you can and spend the rest of the money on maxing your ram out, or getting a processor upgrade.

Best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

prowlmediaRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Apr 9, 2006 at 10:57:03 pm

I just bought a Asus 512mb 6800 card here...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18057872208&action=c2...

and did this softmod ( fairly simple - non destructive - no soldering or anything )
http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=30028
how to softmod a 6800/le/nu/gt to Quadro4000 - PCSTATS Forum

and now I have what amounts to a Quadro fx4000 (

Return to posts index

ArtkorRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on May 31, 2006 at 2:48:08 am

Ive been using an Nvidia Quadro 750xgl and love the maxtreme drivers.Gives a nice lil increase viewport interactivity...would like to upgrade to the fx line but alas.........Da funds a low. The quadro line has dropped big time in price as well .

Great souls have will,,,weak ones have wishes.

Return to posts index

bimo adi prakosoRe: 3DSMax 8 Best Video Card recommendations wanted
by on Jun 6, 2006 at 3:31:41 am

well, the era of 'vga cards won't do any help in rendering' is over.

nvidia now has released (it's been a few months) gelato 2 and gelato 2 pro, so we can make use of our current nvidia graphics cards (geforece fx 5200 and above) to help the rendering process.

so, considering the 'most bang for the buck', now owners of geforce fx cards could simply take the benefits of their cards. same story goes with quadro fx users.

for AGP users, this ebay link shows that it's quite affordable to get (second hand?) quadro fx 3000/4000 cards.

the gelato download can be found here

still have no idea if ATI will follow the same path. the best thing is, the customers will always win. viva customers! :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]