3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Slicing Earth

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
IllidanTGSlicing Earth
by on Mar 7, 2006 at 1:04:24 pm

I have a detailed sphere from the Earth(with displacement landscape) and I want to slice this globe to 3800 pieces to get individual parts with landscape. How could I slice the sphere en-masse when the poly count is let's say high, and I want to be precise?

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Slicing Earth
by on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:26:22 pm

Take at look at Pro Booleans and Procutter by NPower http://www.npowersoftware.com. If you are a subscription customer of max, you can get it from Autodesk for free.

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

Francois StarkRe: Slicing Earth
by on Mar 19, 2006 at 3:07:30 pm

We did this. We had two 40MB Tga hires sat photos which we sliced up (into 200 maps each), using macro's in photoshop. Used a max script to create a model with these 400 maps as sub-materials in one large master material.

It worked, and we could model with it, zoom in quite close, etc.

But we had endless problems with the seams. Could not get the sems to work. We tried everything - nothing helped. There would always be a visible seam where the two sub-materials joined.

Eventually we gave up, used a lower resolution earth (single map), and dissolved through in the zoom to a single-map higher resolution shpere with only a part of the earth mapped. Was very difficult and not even close to elegant, but we had to make it work because 3DSMax's seams let us down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved