Having trouble making efficient models w/low poly count (scene file and images attached)
by Aron on Nov 23, 2005 at 5:49:20 pm
I have just started working on what I thought was a simple project to start getting into MAX.
I am trying to create a couple simple under water scenes; my poly count is quickly getting over 2 million as I add weed beds.
My machine was custom built for this application and I am finding it is quickly getting bogged down with these files.
Supermicro X6DAL-G Motherboard
Duel Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz 1MB 800FSB Processors
2GB ECC Reg. DDR 333Mhz
System Drive: Seagate 120GB 7200Rpm 8MB SATA
Video Drive: Seagate 250GB 7200Rpm 8MB SATA
PNY FX1300 PCI-X 128MB Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
I may be working in a less then ideal process, but I am very surprised to see how fast a MAX scene becomes impossible to work with even in wireframe mode. Especially on what I thought was such a powerful workstation! Sometimes it takes it 7 secs after I select a object for it to be highlighted.
Please have a look at my scene files and let me know if you can think of a more simple way to create the effect of weed beds like this with less polys.
OR do I need to rethink how I am working with these scenes and work more in modules and "hide" components within the viewports one they are created.