3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

how to make hidden objects affect the alpha of a rendered object

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Cussonhow to make hidden objects affect the alpha of a rendered object
by on Nov 14, 2005 at 5:28:54 pm

I know that wasn't a very clear topic but I don't know how else to explain it. I have a cell phone model which took 6 hours to render. It spins around a camera and then opens up to reveal the logo sitting on the inside screen. I have then brought the targa sequence into AE for some heavy duty compositing. I need to update what's on the phone's screen (which is on the inside of the phone) but I don't want to re-render the entire piece. The screen itself is a box which is larger than the actual cutout area so if I were to just hide al the other objects in the scene and just render out the screen itself, it would not "fit" properly if I placed it over my original renedered sequence. The screens edges would actually show over the phone. How do I render only the screen yet still have the surrounding objects of the phone affect the screens alpha so that I can simply import the new screen and place it over top the old targa sequence?

Sean Cusson
Q media design
sean@qmediadesign.ca

Return to posts index

Todd MorganRe: how to make hidden objects affect the alpha of a rendered object
by on Nov 15, 2005 at 3:28:40 pm

Could you not use a matte in your screen texture to the shape of the edges? Or boolean the object to match the shape? Or create a new shape to the size of the screen and link it...

Return to posts index

Sean CussonRe: how to make hidden objects affect the alpha of a rendered object
by on Nov 15, 2005 at 3:33:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Todd,

Actually, it ended up that a workaround to what I was looking for was to apply a matte/shadow material to the entire phone (minus the screen). That way when I rendered it again, only the screen was visible but the rest of the phone was "cutting" itself out of the screen.

Sean Cusson
Q media design
sean@qmediadesign.ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]