Import BVH motion (Poser) into 3DS MAX

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel R
on Nov 10, 2005 at 7:09:53 pm

Hi all ,
I can import a Poser file into 3DS MAX via Gesture Max . Rather than animate it within Character Studio I would like to import animation from a .BVH file .

I can import the BVH motion in Poser but this does not seem to export into Max via GestureMAX
Is there a way to import BVH motion directly into MAX and apply the motion to the imported Poser model ?

Regards
Daniel

Return to posts index

jimmy post
Re: Import BVH motion (Poser) into 3DS MAX
on Nov 11, 2005 at 1:19:28 am

no you cant, they use different systems, if you did not buy gesture max, dont, its crap. download the free versiona and export the models the use biped. otherwise you will be paying for nothing useful. it has 7 days or something so get all the models you want ready and do it fast. I tested for gesturemax, its stupid, but i do admit its good if you use maya and kaydra

Return to posts index

Daniel R
on Nov 12, 2005 at 6:48:34 am

Bummer ...do you know if there is another s/w package I can use e.g. Body Studio , Motionbuilder ?

Return to posts index

Colin Thomson
on Nov 12, 2005 at 2:28:10 pm

MotionBuilder is your best bet. I have not tried Body Studio so I can't say if it is good or not.

Colin

Return to posts index

doug shoha
on Nov 23, 2005 at 2:41:41 am

mation builder sucks and max 8 will crash

Artworkswme.com

Return to posts index

Daniel R
on Dec 7, 2005 at 12:13:07 am

Hi all ,
after quite a bit of research I worked out the best solution :
Body Studio

GestureMax is good for importing non-animated objects from Poser .
Try to import an animation(as a biped e.g.)and you've got big problems .

Converting to Motionbuilder is possible but alot of work .

Body Studio needs Poser and 3ds Max installed on the same computer ..but works a treat and plays back the Poser animation flawlessly in Max .

Daniel

Return to posts index

TjLinder
on Dec 9, 2005 at 5:26:18 pm

Body studio works but beware of the dependencies if you are going to network render. You need Poser on the machine which will render (and you need to start it once to make sure it's authorized) and then you need all of the supporting content that you use in poser on each machine as well. You need a network version of Body Studio installed and you need to run 3DS Max once to make sure it's authorized or Body Studio will error out. So it can become a logistical nightmare. You can do a network render and realize the next day that one machine didn't have the obj for something and it will render leaving that piece out with no warnings. I had this happen with a custom character. Worse it seems fickle and even if you have all of the content installed sometimes things will still not show up and you need to reinstall them just to get it to work. I did a quick project using this here:

http://sleepfoundation.org/doze

These were characters that were animated in Poser 6 and then brought into MAX 7 scenese for rendering.

My goal is to try and get poser out of the loop for animation and use it only to get it's prebuilt characters into MAX. I just bought GestureMax and everything works as well as I would expect except for Biped and Physique. Does anyone know what's going on with that? The support forum trailed off with no answers about a month ago on this topic.

Peace,
Terry

Return to posts index

Daniel R
on Dec 9, 2005 at 7:23:04 pm

Hi Terry ,
I hear you about the problems with Body Studio and it's close ties to the Poser engine .I also couldn't get GestureMax to animate Bipeds correctly ( distoring mesh etc..) . If you hear of a resolution from GestureMax please post it hear !

I bought GestureMax first as it seemed much simpler ..but it doesn't appear to be a fully working product (yet) .

Regards
Daniel

Return to posts index

TjLinder
on Dec 9, 2005 at 9:48:20 pm

Hi Daniel,

I haven't even gotten GestureMax to un-dim the buttons for biped and physique during the import of a .pz3 yet so I'm sad to hear that I've got more things to look forward to when and if I get that working. I don't mind a little envelope adjustment on imported characters I guess, but I was mainly trying (much like others I'm sure) to get characters with facial morphs and bones from Poser. I probably should have researched it a bit more before paying for the plugin. It has potential and does about 60-70% of what is needed. Hopefully they can take it a little further. I have an e-mail into the support group - if I hear anything valuable I will post it here.

Take care and be well,
Terry

Return to posts index

mkelley
on Dec 21, 2005 at 9:17:13 pm

Sorry for butting in here, but I've been using GestureMax for quite some time and I thought it would be helpful to outline my workflow.

First of all, I would give up trying to get it to physique and/or biped characters properly. It can sometimes get *close* but in truth it's so much easier to do these things yourself that you can save yourself a lot of frustration by just biting the bullet and learning the process. It won't take long before you can biped and physique a Poser character properly in less then 20 minutes or so (and just how many characters do you actually *need*? :>)

I create the Poser character but turn off visibility for the eyes. Then I save the file *and* I export the figure and/or clothes (not the head but I do include the neck) as a .3DS file. This is necessary since (at least for the version of GestureMax I own) GM won't properly handle the full body morphs for a Poser character (it defaults to the standard ones and I tend to use a lot of full body morphs). Even if you don't use full body morphs doing this step will simplify things if you are going to use Phonemes for character facial work.

Then in Max I import only the head and neck and check off all the facial morphs (like Phonemes and eye and mouth expressions). This way you have a lot less morpher overhead. I import the body and/or clothes as the .3DS file into this file -- the scale will match pretty close but you will have to slightly resize either the head/neck or body/clothes to match it up (when you do this it helps to reset the pivot points of all).

Mapping coordinates will be preserved in both the GM as well as the .3DS import, but usually the maps are screwed up. I reset the maps here, create the biped (big trick -- pay no attention to the tutorial information and make sure you scale the biped parts to match up with your character) and scale it properly (about five minutes) and then select both the head and the body/clothes and apply Physique to both. Adjust the envelopes (about 10 minutes) and you're done (biggest problem with envelopes with Poser characters seems to be around the neck -- also at times you will need to assign vertices to links so just be aware this isn't covered in the tutorials well).

To animate the face just drop down to the morpher stack (below Physique) -- here I use Ventriloquist (although Max 8 has problems with my version of Vent it will still work -- I just need to save the file and exit Max each time).

The eyes, of course, you link to the Biped head and then use a dummy object with a lookat constraint. You also link any hair or accessories to the head (such as glasses or hats).

There are other details but this works well and Poser figures become quite managable in this way (I've used dozens of them with success). Even creating the custom facial expressions for Ventriloquist and emotions I can do an entire Poser character in less than an hour (it takes me *much* longer to design the character in Poser first )

Return to posts index

Joseph McPeek
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:15:50 am

Check out http://www.truebones.com to get a FREE bvh editor.

Bvhacker 1.6 is now available

http://www.truebones.com

Return to posts index

Mudassar Ayub
on Jun 6, 2009 at 5:42:56 am

i want to import Poser Motion into 3ds max. how can i do that

Return to posts index

Joseph McPeek
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:16:43 am

Hi,

In order to use Poser generated motions into Max you will need to export the motion as a BVH file from poser.

Then in order to use the exported bvh in Max, you will need to employ what is called an .mnm file on a default biped in Maxs character studio.

Let me know if you still have any problems or questions.

Thanks again and Cheers

Joe McPeek

Return to posts index

Varun Kadle
on Sep 26, 2010 at 4:20:33 pm

Hi Joe,

What exactly is employing an .mnm file on a max biped? Could you tell me the procedure to do that? Im sort of in the process of importing poser bvh's (Second life animations) onto a max biped.

Any insight will be much appreciated

Varun

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]