3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Line In File Exceeds 255 characters

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordisan
Line In File Exceeds 255 characters
on Oct 31, 2005 at 6:00:19 pm

Hi,

Probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to import an .ai (CS) file into max (v7) and it's giving me the following error: Line in file exceeds 255 characters. Has anybody run into this before? What can I do to get around/fix it?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Colin Thomson
Re: Line In File Exceeds 255 characters
on Nov 3, 2005 at 1:59:27 pm

Rename it with fewer letters and try to re-import it again. Hope this helps ...

Colin

Return to posts index

Tom J
on Nov 4, 2005 at 3:57:42 am

This error was common when importing Illustrator files into Max that many of us had experienced way back before v.7, you should be able to import the file just fine by saving the file as an earlier version like v.6. Although I'd imagine that Max 6 or 7 would've fixed this.

I don't have AI CS in front of me at the moment but I am pretty sure you can save an earlier version by way of exporting the file and using the "legacy" option.

HTH,
Tom

Return to posts index

Edward M
on Nov 4, 2005 at 5:26:26 am

what you have to do is export the Illustrator Legacy file as "Illustrator Legacy" 8.0 at least if you are using 3ds 6 and up. since Illustrator CS is a complete revamp of its predasesors. also another trick that I find helps is scale your graphic as large as illustrator will allow. Trust me I do this almost every day... youll see.
Eddie

Return to posts index

Tom J
on Nov 4, 2005 at 8:55:58 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier with Illustrator paths as Edward mentions above by scaling them inside illustrator, you can do this, but another trick and quite a reliable one is that you should be able to leave them as is in Illustrator and once you import them into Max apply the XForm Modifier to the path.

As you'll see most of the time the paths import into Max very small, so when you apply an Extrude or Bevel Mod to them the verts jump all over the place.

You can avoid this with the XForm. Once applied select the XForm if it is not in Modifier stack of the path. Then Select and Uniform Scale the XForm. Set the Offset: Screen to something like 1,500 or 3,000 and hit enter.

Zoom Extents all or selected or just zoom out to see your path. Collapse the stack back to an editable spline and your path will behave just fine.

HTH,
Tom

Return to posts index

David Ghazawy
on Apr 7, 2008 at 10:51:40 am

Had the same problem a while ago, save the .ai file into an older version of illustrator (I'm using version V3 and it exports the vectors fine).

Return to posts index

andrew titley
on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:04:43 pm

I am a new student! can anyone answer for me.

can I export a mesh from illustrator to 3ds max?

I can export spline tye graphics but when I try to export a simple mesh it says file format not recognised ?
Thanks anyone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]