3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

An informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Carlson-ThiesAn informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics
by on Oct 25, 2005 at 6:33:53 pm

The point of this post is to get feedback and see how much intrest there is in a new piece of hardware I am looking into manufacturing soon. It is a parallel external grpahics processing system. The system use any four PCIe graphics cards but runs them in parallel. The idea being to give much higher performance for real time applications. The system is capable of doing between 200-700Fps and up 3 billion polygons in real time.

Tell me what you think.. are you interested in something like this?

And no I am not selling anything right now, this is just an informal intrest poll

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

bigsmartyRe: An informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 7:37:42 pm

Simon:
Interesting, but something similar is already available.
Your idea sounds a little like the SLI technology availabe for
Nvidia cards. I just built a workstation and SLI was one of the factors that governed selection of hardware. I am currently using only one card but will upgrade to 2 at a later date.

Chuck H.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: An informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 9:16:49 pm

It may sound similar, but my system can use any PCIe graphics card, and is external which means it only uses 1 PCIe slot instead of 2 with SLI or 4 if I mounted my system internally. Also SLI only gives you a max frame rate of 127FPS currently, mine will do twice as well currently. Further there are no special modification need to make mine work with software the way SLI needs special modification for software. And of course mine has more then twice the graphics processing power, for poly count in realtime. The algorithm that my system uses is different from SLI, it is an intelligent parallel algorithm which is 99% hardware based. And since the system is 90% hardware basded the performance is superior to SLI.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Wm MahlerRe: An informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics
by on Oct 30, 2005 at 12:37:50 am

Interested? Yes, of course! But it's mostly about price point and solid performance. Have you run this poll on the Autodesk Combustion forum? I'm sure ther would be a lot of interest there.

Good luck!
Wm Mahler

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: An informal poll to gauge intrest in a new way of doing realtime 3d graphics
by on Oct 30, 2005 at 1:57:49 pm

No I haven't, thanks for the suggestion.

From Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]