3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Need to match color and lighting temp?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom J
Need to match color and lighting temp?
on Oct 12, 2005 at 1:42:29 am

Hi,
I have some footage that I am going to be incorporating a model into and I was wondering how would I go about capturing or producing a realistic final composite with my models' textures?

My software options are Photoshop 6, CS, AE 5.5 (pro), 6.5 (pro) and Max 7.5. I am pretty hip on doing things AE and Photoshop, it's just certain tasks in Max that I am kind of rusty on.

So for ex: I am going to comp my model into the scene using AE but first I would like to render out a camera match sequence of my model in Max to match "as close as possible" to the intensity of the footage itself. So this way I don't have to worry about too much correcting in AE, although this may be unavoidable. The footage is of an industrial environment with flourescents somewhat hidden behind catwalks and air dampers. The lighting is pretty decent, not too dark but it does appear a little dull or muted.

So I want my model to match this environment for "realistic" sake and I was wondering what tricks out there can I utilize? Is there a way to use the color temperature so to speak of the footage in my lighting or texture maps to make the model appear as if it was already there?

I know its about how I light it in CG and perhaps its more of a "look and feel" as I go approach but I just wanted to see what your ideas may be?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
Re: Need to match color and lighting temp?
on Oct 12, 2005 at 4:33:01 pm

Hi Tom J.

If you can get (build in CS?) an HDRI version of your Background-Plate, you can use it as a lightmap for a skylight and render the scene with the lighttracer. Thats the only tecnical way that comes to my mind, beside the trial and error workflow by importing the plate as scene-environment and mathing the colors by eyes view and lots of test renderings.

greetings

Frank

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Tom J
on Oct 14, 2005 at 4:08:06 pm

Hey there,
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Been busy.

You mean CS2 right, as far as I know HDR is not supported in CS, unless maybe from a plugin. Anyhow, HDR sounds like a good option I didn't think of it. I wonder if HDRI-Studio or HDR Shop will work for the time being. I haven't worked much with either program. But while using Vray, I've been using available and made ready HDR images for environments. I'll give Lightracer a try though.

As for CS2, I will probably just upgrade to it.

Trial and error with many renderings. I was kind of afraid of that. :>)

Thank you,
Tom

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
on Oct 15, 2005 at 1:40:28 pm

You

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]