<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick HauslerAutodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 4, 2005 at 9:34:50 pm

Check this out...

http://www.fxguide.com/article300.html&mode=nested

Return to posts index

Mike JamesRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 4, 2005 at 10:29:05 pm

What a bombshell. This is really big news.

Return to posts index

Scott Paul DunhamRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 5, 2005 at 3:20:51 am

I agree! When I first heard it, I thought it was a hoax!

I was just at the new Alias office in Rochester Michigan last Wednesday... they were celebrating their new building- and everything was great. It seems ironic that this was lurking right around the corner!

The Automotive market seems to be a large part of the motivation to acquire Alias... with their entrenched Studio Tools here- and Maya now in heavy use here for visualization of sheet metal-- Autodesk is gaining a foothold in a HUGE market! I'm going to keep a close watch to see how these unique tools will be combined in the new workflow paradigm that Autodesk is developing so well.

Of course, nothing will happen for months, that will affect us locally. But I'm very interested in seeing how things will shake out.

We live in interesting times.

COW Forum Leader (Shepherd) for:
SEMAFX Network Forum

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 5, 2005 at 2:46:22 pm

Autodesk gulping Alias would have been the least speculation on my list.
As a Maxist ofcourse, i

Return to posts index

Tom JRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 5, 2005 at 3:02:50 pm

Nice... Very nice...
Optimistic is an understatement if you ask me. The knowledge that some of us have of both apps is quite inviting. The pipeline has changed for sure.

I wonder what will happen on the Apple side of things though. I'd imagine they will continue to support them, but who knows.

Tom

Return to posts index

Nigel ThompsonRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 6, 2005 at 1:44:52 pm

Hey guys:

I've been practicing and studying Maya for a while now to get into the highend visual effects market and an independant artist, and this is a big blow to me. I love discreet but i am jsut disheartend by this . We all know (including autodesk) that maya is used much more for VS work. but as frank mentioned the mac platform is my worry,

The Mac accounts for 25% of all Maya sales which is a big chunk, will this be ignored, dont know , and how will they treat the Linux side as well.

I'd prefer if apple bought it, sorry, thats how I feel. but you know what, who want to bet steve hires all the programmers from Alias :). lets wait and see

Nigel

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 7, 2005 at 1:25:14 pm

Hi Nigel.

I wouldn

Return to posts index

Mike JamesRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 9, 2005 at 6:57:27 am

Well they could have pulled development of Combustion on the Mac, but they haven't. I'd think if they as a company were not committed to the Mac, there wouldn't even be a Combustion 4 in the works as there is now.

And combustion on the mac will most likely be receiving some kind of workflow enhancements from a maya export down the road. Makes sense to just let Combustion start playing nicely with Maya on OSX. It could help sales of Combustion on OSX that way. But way too far out in the distance to even fret about all this.

Return to posts index

Pierre JasminRe: Autodesk Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Alias
by on Oct 10, 2005 at 10:44:31 pm

That's a good point, Combustion on the Mac did not have the Max support -- or it did not have value for a 100% Mac workflow -- (starting from Max being able to generate a .cws combustion workspace) or you being able to run a .cws within Max and Maya did not have in-house compositing target to worry about

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]