3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Mental ray and network rendering

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beorn LeonardMental ray and network rendering
by on Sep 28, 2005 at 12:31:56 am

I'm working on a job using MAX 7 which requires some intense raytracing (basically I'm shooting the whole scene through a virtual fish eye lens), so of course I started using mental ray. Lovely results. Smooth curves. Very nice.

However, it wasn't long till I found, to my horror, that due to some licensing issues with mental ray, you can't network render with it unless you have a full install on every machine on your render farm.

Given the amount of time it takes to render raytraced 3d, and the deadline for the job, this meant that mental ray became out of the question.

How's that? A bit of software that is legitimately installed and perfect for the job, but I can't use it because of an ill conceived licensing policy.

It doesn't seem to make sense. Am I mistaken about this? Is there a trick I'm missing?

-------------------------
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Mental ray and network rendering
by on Sep 28, 2005 at 12:20:51 pm

Hi Beorn.

If you want to use mr in a backburner-based networkenviroment you have to have one mr-license for each CPU in your network. That is and allways was the policy of mental images, since mr apeared on the market. Bad enough, but that

Return to posts index

Beorn LeonardRe: Mental ray and network rendering
by on Sep 28, 2005 at 11:56:27 pm

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately this all means I couldn't use mental ray for the job.
Very frustrating indeed.

IMHO, they really ought to rethink their licensing policy.

-------------------------
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Return to posts index

GathererRe: Mental ray and network rendering
by on Oct 3, 2005 at 8:45:22 am

I just read this on the http://support.discreet.com/webboard/ web site:

I just came back from the 3dsmax 8 launch in Hollywood and the guys made a huge announcement. Mental Ray 3.4 going to have free network licensing with 3ds8. This is massive news as I never bothered with Mental Ray because of the net-rendering issue. If you can't net render there is no point and previously the node licenses where $1500 a pop. Now you can render on 999 machines - just the same as the Scanline render - Sweet !!!!

So maybe you should upgrade to Max8 if this will resolve the problem for you...

Good Luck

Gatherer

Return to posts index

Beorn LeonardRe: Mental ray and network rendering
by on Oct 3, 2005 at 12:37:28 pm

Finally some sanity in mental ray!
Nice to hear, thanks.

Return to posts index

bigsmartyRe: Mental ray and network rendering
by on Oct 26, 2005 at 7:46:07 pm

Beorn:
I have just purchased the upgrade to max 8 partly in order to solve the exact dilemma you have. I currently have an issue with a 3rd party plugin and cannot use it on my current project, but the Max 8 documentation states that Mental Ray can be used in Backburner without any additional licencing, just like the default scanline renderer.
Cool!
Chuck H.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]