3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Random tapered - thatch like geometry

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom JRandom tapered - thatch like geometry
by on Sep 20, 2005 at 6:18:43 pm

For the past couple of days I've been having trouble trying to create some geometry that looks like a thatch umbrella. I've got the overall object done, it's just the "grass" like geometry that I am having trouble with.

Originally I attempted to create a material and apply it to the object as part of a mix map in the opacity slot to mask out any surfaces inbetween the individual pieces of bamboo thatch. But the trouble there is that the overhanging thatch or grass off the sides of the umbrella appear flat with no depth.

The result I am ultimately after is geometry that doesn't look so manicured and trimmed. I want the geometry to appear as if it is hanging randomly over the edge of the umbrella. I tried to use multiple pieces of geometry that I instanced into an array around the top of the umbrella but it didn't fill the surface like I had hoped.

There has to be a better way to do this, to make it look more realistic???

See image below for an idea.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

Colin ThomsonRe: Random tapered - thatch like geometry
by on Sep 22, 2005 at 7:24:18 pm

Give Scatter a try. There is a good tutorial on this. Just do a google search "Grow a Better Lawn with 3D Max
by Dagan Potter" . Click on the 4th link, then scroll down and you'll find it. Hope this helps ...

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Random tapered - thatch like geometry
by on Sep 22, 2005 at 8:00:52 pm

Also using stationary paricles, or Hair and Fur might be a solution.

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

Tom JRe: Random tapered - thatch like geometry
by on Sep 22, 2005 at 8:09:21 pm

I was wondering what happened to you folks. :>)

Thanks for the reply, while I was waiting for an answer I did some searching online and noticed that one or two people were asking similar questions about "thatch" in 3D. What a small world.

Anyhow, after looking into it I thought of both your solutions, Scatter or Hair & Fur. Although I have dabbled a bit with both, I am not to familiar with their potential. But I will definitely look into both none the less.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

grommite1Re: Random tapered - thatch like geometry
by on Dec 16, 2005 at 10:20:39 am

Hi, same problem here. I'm hardly trying to make a thatch roof for a bronze age house.
I made a thatch like texture with scatter (rendered front and top side of the scatter group with alpha layer for the bump and the mask), and it looks promising, but the lower side of the roof is terribly ugly.
Becouse of this the whole project turned much more harder than i've expected.

Just wanted to say, you are not alone with this.

Good luck with your thatch umbrella.

Ps: sorry for bad english

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved