3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Basic Modeling Question

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cutter
Basic Modeling Question
on Sep 13, 2005 at 4:31:03 pm

I usually work with architectural type modeling. I am getting into a pair of shoes. What may be an efficient and handsome approach for this more organic object?

Thanks!

Cutter

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
Re: Basic Modeling Question
on Sep 13, 2005 at 8:04:44 pm

Hi Cutter.

For such an object make yourself familiar with editable poly and mesh-/turbosmooth or spline/pathmodeling. The first one means pushing around, vertices, edges and and faces/polys in a lowpoly state of the model and giving it an "organic" form trough the smooth modfiers.
The second is a tecnique building a cage out of editable splines and then giving that cage a surface.

Both ways of modelling have their pros and cons. Eventualy it

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
on Sep 14, 2005 at 4:14:35 pm

Of course I mean patch- not pathmodelling.

Frank again

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Colin Thomson
on Sep 14, 2005 at 10:23:45 pm

I agree with Frank, there are so many ways it can be done. With experience you'll soon know what your poison is. Oh yes! remember to try and have a reference image('s).

Colin

Return to posts index

cutter
on Sep 15, 2005 at 2:37:12 pm

Thank you both very much. I am not certain of the terms but what I did was take a rectangle (spline) and turn it into an editable mesh. After that I worked with the edges to get the shape of the sole of a shoe. Then working with the edges and the vertices I am building up the rest of the model. As nutty as this may sound this is very exciting. So far so good. I am certain that I will run into some challenges here and there. Eventually this thing will walk through the snow. Hopefully in time for Christmas

Again thanks!

Cutter

Return to posts index

cutter
on Sep 15, 2005 at 2:41:17 pm

And....Yes I do have reference images in the viewports. This is for a film festival in Belgium. Perhaps Frank will be there.

Cutter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]