3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Newbie question about transparency

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judge Schmells
Newbie question about transparency
on Aug 29, 2005 at 4:56:13 am

Howdy! Newbie here and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a model I bought online that I have brought in and done some simple mods to. All I want to do is render it and save the object (a film reel) with no background. I brought up the render screen and render it but it always includes a background. Also, I always have to save it as a Targa rather than a Tiff because when I try to import a tiff into Macromedia Fireworks or photoshop, it gives me an error, so I have to use a Targa.

Is there a setting I can use to export a render without any background at all?

Thanks so much!

Jusge S.

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
Re: Newbie question about transparency
on Aug 29, 2005 at 9:06:30 am

With the TGA you

Return to posts index

TTSAddict
on Oct 8, 2005 at 12:37:02 am

Still, is there a way to completely remove the background from the rendering?
I have a scene that makes use of post video effects, some objects have glowing corona around them and when I blend this scene over anything else, the corona becomes BLACK (slightly colored) instead of a smooth blend from the background to the corona color. This is due to the corona blended over the black background. Although it is removed by the alpha channel, the corona still has a black tint. This is inacceptable (and looks ugly, not to mention)
I tried saving the scene to a TGA without pre-multiplied alpha, but then the coronas are nearly invisible.
There has to be a way to exclude the background. ParticleIllusion is capable of this, and has an option to "Remove the black background" just because of this issue.
I even tried to use a colormap for the background (a transparent PNG with nothing in it) but then it is still black... *sigh*

Return to posts index

Judge Schmells
on Oct 8, 2005 at 5:30:15 am

Hey TSAddict. Seems like I ended up making the background pure blue and then using a colorkey to get rid of it in after effects. That is how I ended up having to do it. Kept the edges clean.

Judge S.

Return to posts index

TTSAddict
on Oct 10, 2005 at 10:15:18 pm

This is not possible, for my desired workspace is not a video composing software.

I found that saving with non-premultiplied alpha is certainly the way to go. However I manually need to brighten up the alpha channel since the post FX's are not influencing it enough to survive the process.
And the main drawback on this is that the resulting picture is all messed up when viewed/composed/rendered WITHOUT alpha.

Basically this is exactly the same thing that particleIllusion does when you save with "remove black BG" option checked.
No, not basically - it IS the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]