3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Slice almost does it, but...

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fministr
Slice almost does it, but...
on Aug 11, 2005 at 1:16:26 am

Hi all,

I've got an idea for an animation, but can't figure out how to execute it. Basically, I have a pretty high resolution model of a truck, and without moving the model itself, I want to have "cross sections" of it appear and be able to animate through it. Probably several slices animating through it, and then have it all form together.

Imagine a loaf of bread appearing slice by slice, as the slices move through it, and then the whole uncut loaf appears at the end.

The effect can almost completely be achieved with the "slice" modifier, but the problem is the open space where the slice plane intersects my model. I want to have it that open face capped.

I hope I explaind what I after well enough. Can anyone think of a clean way to accomplish this?

Todd

Return to posts index

viveck
Re: Slice almost does it, but...
on Aug 11, 2005 at 12:56:47 pm

try using boolean subtract

Return to posts index

fministr
OK, Boolean almost does it, but...
on Aug 11, 2005 at 5:15:59 pm

I didn't mention it it my first post, but I did try using booleans, but found that it gives me the same "uncapped sliced face" results as slice.

To test, I did some experiments with a sphere and cube. If I create these two primitives overlapping in 3D space and do a Subtraction Boolean, it indeed gives me the results I want. However, it didn't work that way with my truck.

Playing a bit more, I found that if I went back to the box/sphere test scene, put an edit mesh on the sphere and deleted a single face (so it was no longer "solid"?), and then preformed the boolean, it would not cap the removed faces.

I know Max isn't a Solids Modeler like Form*Z is (I think), but in the case of primitives with no faces deleted, it sure does act like it.

And since my truck is definitely not solid, does anyone else have a suggestion on how to get the effect I'm looking for?

Todd

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
Re: OK, Boolean almost does it, but...
on Aug 11, 2005 at 8:54:37 pm

Hi Todd.

Put a cap-holes modifier (I guess that

Return to posts index

fministr
Re: OK, Boolean almost does it, but...
on Aug 11, 2005 at 11:07:14 pm

Great Frank, that's exactly what I was looking for. As a longtime Max user, it was one of those "when did Max add that feature?" moments.

Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]