3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Helicopter camera matching - possible in max?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MaartenHelicopter camera matching - possible in max?
by on Aug 1, 2005 at 10:47:55 am

Hi everyone, thank you for viewing this thread. I'm about to land the biggest job ever (for me :) shooting from a relatively high altitude down on pretty flat empty industrial area (an island pretty much surrounded by water) where we're supposed to add a 2 by 3 kilometer wide oil refinery... Now the thing is, I've never camera-matched a helicopter shot before :D I've done some tests with Boujou and a not-really comparable helicopter video, but that's a complete disaster - it's a 1000% off, not having any parallax in the scene - tracking 'pan' is even worse. Now I figured that since I know the dimensions the place I might do it in max, with the standard Camera Tracker ...or might I not?

I can't google-up anyone having done helicopter-shots before, so that's why I'm bothering you guys. I'd very very extremely much like your feedback on this before I'm starting this shoot... I'd hate to do it twice. How about shooting in HDV format btw? Scale the video down later but use the ultra-high video resolution for nice tracking? Would be good right?

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Helicopter camera matching - possible in max?
by on Aug 1, 2005 at 7:59:32 pm

Hi Maarten.

Also camera tracking facileties in max, in my opinion, are not very reliable. Even if you have a mesurement and landmarks.

I would SynthEyes http://www.ssontech.com give a chance. It's the standalone version of a former max-plugin called SceneGenie, maybe you know it.

The startup tutorial the give on theit website, beside a 30 days trial, is pretty similar to your task.

You can also find a review of Syntheyes here at the COW: http://www.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=18&page=/articl...

hope it pushes you a bit further

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved