3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Lighting issue - light goes through walls

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Postal BoyLighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 28, 2005 at 5:02:14 pm

I have an architctural model that I am working on, and the lights appear to go right through walls, even with "cast shadows" on. The shadows are cast, but I still get a large amount of bleed through the walls.

The model is basic right now (no textures added, etc), but I would like to figure this out. I have had the same problem in the past and never found the solution. It does the same with raytrace and shadow maps.

Any ideas?

Postal

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 11:17:20 am

Hi postal.

What you discribe is a clear sign for light falling on and therefor through unrendered backsides of geometry. To avoid this, give the object a material and set it on twosided. You can also tell your lightsource to produce twosided shadows. You find this in the shadowmap- or raytraceshadow-parameters.

Hope it helps

Frank

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Postal BoyRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 12:55:18 pm

Doh! Something simple. I had shadow density set to .5 to soften them up a bit, but that makes the light go "through" objects, even walls. Sorry about the trouble, but thanks for the advice. It made me re-look at all of the settings again :(

-Postal

Return to posts index

Saheb DasRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:21:04 pm

Hi .I am saheb.I am from India.I can say 3 procedure which may heal your problem. no. 1) avoid extruding walls.. no. 2) wall must have thikness.. no. 3) your normals is not facing in same direction, i.e; go to a modifier named normal, apply unity(if it still not works), manually adjust the face side by moving the directional handle.
mail me at papasdas@hotmail.com , if my information helped you...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]