3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Lighting issue - light goes through walls

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Postal BoyLighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 28, 2005 at 5:02:14 pm

I have an architctural model that I am working on, and the lights appear to go right through walls, even with "cast shadows" on. The shadows are cast, but I still get a large amount of bleed through the walls.

The model is basic right now (no textures added, etc), but I would like to figure this out. I have had the same problem in the past and never found the solution. It does the same with raytrace and shadow maps.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 11:17:20 am

Hi postal.

What you discribe is a clear sign for light falling on and therefor through unrendered backsides of geometry. To avoid this, give the object a material and set it on twosided. You can also tell your lightsource to produce twosided shadows. You find this in the shadowmap- or raytraceshadow-parameters.

Hope it helps

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

Postal BoyRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 12:55:18 pm

Doh! Something simple. I had shadow density set to .5 to soften them up a bit, but that makes the light go "through" objects, even walls. Sorry about the trouble, but thanks for the advice. It made me re-look at all of the settings again :(

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Saheb DasRe: Lighting issue - light goes through walls
by on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:21:04 pm

Hi .I am saheb.I am from India.I can say 3 procedure which may heal your problem. no. 1) avoid extruding walls.. no. 2) wall must have thikness.. no. 3) your normals is not facing in same direction, i.e; go to a modifier named normal, apply unity(if it still not works), manually adjust the face side by moving the directional handle.
mail me at papasdas@hotmail.com , if my information helped you...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved