3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Which workstation?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TroyWhich workstation?
by on Jul 15, 2005 at 11:47:47 am

Hi there, I posted this in the After Effects forum, but noticed similar posts in here, so thought I'd give it a go.....

I am currently looking at purchasing a workstation - the majority of my work is in After Effects & Photoshop (lets say 75%), the rest in 3DSmax - mainly for broadcast TV.

I am looking at either the HP xw8200 or the Sun W2100z :

The HP xw8200 specs : Dual 3.2GHz Xeon's, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD + 2x250GB RAID 0 HDD's (SATA's), NVIDIA FX3400, Decklink Pro card.

The Sun W2100z specs : Dual 2.2GHz Opteron's, 2GB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD + Internal RAID 3x300GB SATA, NVIDIA FX3000, Decklink Pro card.

The prices are fairly similar for both, but it's a fair investment! Any comments, recommendations, etc would be appreciated.

I have heard the Opteron's may have overheating issues???

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Which workstation?
by on Jul 15, 2005 at 12:42:21 pm

Hi Troy.

I'd stick to the HP xw 8200.
More speed (with less overheating issues as you said), slightly better graficcard and a better partitioning of the HDDs. You can put os, programs and virtual RAM on the 160 GB HDD. Set up one partition for each, especialy the vRam should have its own as near as possible to the center. That keeps the RAID for data only.

The 73 GB of the Sun W2100z seem a bit less to me for this solution and mixing SCSI and SATA can cause trouble either.

Have fun with your new baby

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

TroyRe: Which workstation?
by on Jul 17, 2005 at 3:02:26 am

Thanks for the advice Frank... I was kinda leaning towards the xw8200.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved