3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Paper Ships Plans to 3D Model - Newbie Help RQ

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom001Paper Ships Plans to 3D Model - Newbie Help RQ
by on Jul 9, 2005 at 3:03:49 am

I have paper plans for a ship that we have filmed documentary on. And we would like to make a wire frame representation of the ship that we can move the camera about with - to show where certain sections are to the viewer before the actual footage. Do to cost restraints we have to do this in house. Are there any tuitions available, or any suggestions what software would be helpful for us? (We have access to Autocad 2005). Thank you. ~tom

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Paper Ships Plans to 3D Model - Newbie Help RQ
by on Jul 14, 2005 at 4:05:22 pm

Hi tom001.

What's the priority of you project, tecnical exactness or a good look. If you need a model that's absolutly identical to the papers use a CAD-tool, like Autocad. If it has just to look good use a 3d-model and -animation tool (3ds max). The best, but most expencive way, would be, constructing the boat in Autocad and importing it 3ds max for texturing, light and rendering. Dataexchange works quite good - same SW-company - trough DWG-format.

Hope it helps

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

tom001Re: Paper Ships Plans to 3D Model - Newbie Help RQ
by on Jul 16, 2005 at 3:17:12 pm

Thanks Frank for your kind advice.

The look is probably more important that technical accuracy. And I have started the project not in 3ds max - sorry - but in Maya as this is available to me. Seems like it's going to take a while though - as this is a Naval Ship with lots of parts!

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved