3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Question from a potential 3ds Max convert

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joeldberryQuestion from a potential 3ds Max convert
by on Jul 5, 2005 at 4:10:46 pm

I am evaluating several 3d packages for a potential addition to my current bag of tricks (in addition to Lightwave, combustion and Avid Xpress Pro HD), and I am especially interested in those 3D packages that work well with combustion, so 3ds is a leading candidate.

Here's my question: having used Lightwave (and other modelers, etc.), I am used to just clicking on a point and moving it around in a view.

I have downloaded the demo, and am trying to get familiar with it, but I cannot seem to find a way to do this in 3ds max: every time I choose a point and then want to move it, the 3d widget comes up, and I am constrained to either a) an axis, or b) a plane.

While this is typical, and it makes sense in some respects, I am used to work in the perspective view, and grabbing axis does more to interrupt my workflow than help it. Is there a way to just grab a point, and move it around, rotate my view, move it around, etc., until I get it where I want it?

Also, on a side note, is there a way to change my "rotate view" button to, say, ALT-LEFT MOUSE instead of ALT-MIDDLE MOUSE?

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Question from a potential 3ds Max convert
by on Jul 5, 2005 at 6:07:44 pm

Hi joeldberry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved