3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

filling an object with a random spline?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arie Stavchanskyfilling an object with a random spline?
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 10:18:37 pm

Hi There!

I had an idea but am not sure if I can achieve it in Max. After creating an object is there a way to fill up the object with a spline that travels in random directions but is bounded by the object? I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with scultptures made out of things like hangar wire, but the final result would look something like that. Is this possible with any of the tools in Max?

Thanks for your help!

Arie

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: filling an object with a random spline?
by on Jun 28, 2005 at 1:32:34 pm

Hi Arie.

I would like to help you, but it

Return to posts index

Arie StavchanskyRe: filling an object with a random spline?
by on Jun 28, 2005 at 3:11:12 pm

Hi Frank!

Thanks again for your help :) I'm posting some images so you can get the idea. Of what I am trying to acheive.

Arie

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: filling an object with a random spline?
by on Jul 5, 2005 at 6:43:22 pm

Hi Arie.

Sorry for my late answer, I

Return to posts index

Tom JRe: filling an object with a random spline?
by on Jul 9, 2005 at 1:37:40 am

Just a quick thought, I tried this real quick with Max. But will Reactor help you here with Reactor Rope? Or better yet as I did it, if you have the new version of Max - the Cloth plugin (earlier versions was I believe a plugin called ClothFX maybe by I think digimation?.

Anyhow create some cylinder geometry (hanger wire) in Max and using the Cloth modifier define it as a cloth object and then "add" inside your object properties, your collision object (whatever your statue model is), once selected make sure you tick collision. For simple sake here, a cylinder that has the top poly removed and then a Shell Modifier applied to it. My thought is this, create a series of cylinders that vary in size and length and define them as your cloth object.

Run the simulation as "local" and voila! your cylinders (hanger wire) should drop into the bucket (previously set as a collision object) as it were and bend and bounce around respecitvely. However, you will need to play around with settings like gravity, stretch, rigid, type of cloth, etc. in order for this to work cleanly, you may also need to randomly manipulate each "wire's" position after the animation in order to have it placed wherever you need them inside your statue. Also you can stop the simulation whenever you like so you don't have to run it continuously.

I would love to say that using renderable splines would work, but Cloth comes up with an error about "isolated vertices". So you need to have an actual mesh in order to do this.

Kind of a drag but at least it's a start and half the battle. This is where Reactor may help as well. I am not great at Reactor so I can't help you there, but from what I recall, it is definitely a possible option. Quite some time ago, I created an animation of a bunch of "rubber" balls dropping into a tub with very nice results. If you ask me now how I did it, sorry no can do, I haven't worked with Reactor enough to remember much of the skills.

Hope that helps ya,
Here is a video module from Discreet about cloth. The 6th one down.
http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=870

Tom

Return to posts index

Arie StavchanskyRe: filling an object with a random spline?
by on Jul 11, 2005 at 2:47:14 pm

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the suggestions. Reactor could work very well here! I hadn't thought of that. I have used reactor minimally, but will try out your method. I will do my best to post back the result to this thread!

With kind regards,
Arie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]