3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

POV-Ray, 3ds MAX, ...

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ThomasPOV-Ray, 3ds MAX, ...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 11:51:01 pm

I am researching different raytracing and 3d rendering programs and was wondering if anyone here could point out some others.

I own 3ds MAX and am trying to first gather many programes to look at before narrowing down my search to one program. I have built-a-box-and-made-it-spin level experiance with 3dsmax and have only played around with POV-Ray but so far these are what i am considering. Can anyone point out other commercial or non-commerical rendering apps i should look at.

My end purpose is to write a tutorial on the program to train someone well enough to take a sketch of a simple product and make a model out of it. Any ideas are appreciated... thanks.

Return to posts index

Arie StavchanskyRe: POV-Ray, 3ds MAX, ...
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 3:23:51 pm

The best raytracers in my humble opinion would have to be Splutterfish's Brazil and Cebas' finalRender Stage-1. You can find out more about them at the following sites:

POVray is a excellent renderer for its price (FREE!), but exporting your 3DSMax scenes to that program will be very complicated. In fact, I would say either learn Max or POVRay, and the one you pick up should depend on the style of your artistic intuition. POVRay is script based, 3DSMax is GUI based. Although there are some GUI modeling programs out there for POVRay. The other option is to learn mental ray which is shipped with Max, but it is not as powerful in the sense that there are not as many parameters to tweak as the others. Then again, third party renderers have always been ahead of the packaged renderers--only because they make it their business to be so.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved