3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Extracting an animated spline from an animated object . . .

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arie Stavchansky
Extracting an animated spline from an animated object . . .
on Jun 21, 2005 at 4:27:34 pm

Okay, so the subject line sounds a bit intimdating, but I do have a question about extracting splines. My end goal for this task is to obtain an animated spline. However, I would like the animated spline to be an exact fit to an already animated object.

I know there is a way to extract a spline from a user-selected set of edges. However, this is only for one frame out of an entire animation. Is there a way to extract a user-selected set of edges from an animated object so that the spline itself is animated?

I'm not sure if I'm clear enough in my words, but will do my best to clarify if need be.

Thanks again for all your time and help!

With kind regards,
Arie

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
Re: Extracting an animated spline from an animated object . . .
on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:18:30 pm

Hi Arie.

Still working on that necklace thing? If so, I guess you have an animated character and want to extract an animated crossection for spline-IKing the necklace. Am I right?

If yes, let me know. I think, I have an idea for a workaround.

I'm waiting

Frank

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:51:54 pm

Hi Frank,

You got it. It's a complicated issue, and thank you for all your advice and guidance. I just ran a test where I had an animated spline and then I used that animated spline as the spline for a splineIK solver. The problem now is that when I "attach" the spline as part of the solver, the initial animation goes is lost, so I would have to reanimate the spline even if I could make an animated spline and use it as the basis for the splineIK.

My eyes are wide open to read about any direction you may have.

Thanks for all your time and help!

Arie

Return to posts index

Frank Ringwald
on Jun 21, 2005 at 9:22:58 pm

Another Hi

The workaround I have in mind is a bit tricky and maybe overdone, but so what.

There is an animation-controler called attach (I hope it's the right name 'cause i'm working with a german version). This controler lets you attach any object to a certain polygon of an other object, by choosing the number of that face. It's pretty unknown, that the faces of every poly or mesh are numbered. Mostly from top to bottom in rows.

So, what I would try, is to attach the dummies, you get when applying spline-IK, to faces of your skin, that are crucial for the conforming of the necklace and animate it through adapting their movement.

Hope it's not too confusing.

Frank

P.S. If you are allready on max 7 forget all this, and use skinwrap.

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin
http://www.fxgarden.de

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
on Jun 22, 2005 at 2:34:04 pm

Frank! Thank you for the thoughtful advice and, more importantly for your time. I am on Max7 and will look into the skinwrap modifier. Hopefully I can get this animation to work the way I'd like it to go.

Until the next posting :D

-Arie

Return to posts index

Ivon Smith
on Jul 8, 2005 at 6:04:40 am

HAven't looked at it properly yet, but first thought were it may be possible a)with NURBS splines onto a surface or b)Particle Flow emmitting a trail of (Mesher?) object trails as they bounce around inside the object???

Just guessing so far--may look at it over the weekend?
cheers
Ivon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]