3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Shadow Map memory

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan DinanShadow Map memory
by on Jun 17, 2005 at 7:50:17 pm

I have a rather large outdoor scnene - raytracing shadows proves to be way too slow for my timeline on this project, so I decided to go with shadow maps instead. Not only are they much, much faster, but I believe the look nicer, with a softer edge.
Anyway - I found that since my scene and objects are so big, the shadow map size needs to be in the range of 7000 before it looks acceptable. However, I'd like to go bigger still - unfortunately, if I go over 7000, I get an error saying that it couldn't allocate enough memory to create the shadow map.

Is there any way to increase the "limit" on shadow maps - perhaps in some config file? I would have thought that the system could use a standard paging file if it ran out of physical memory (I only have 1GB of RAM). I tried the preferences settings for the bitmap page area - but that did not seem to help.

Am I just at the max with 7000 (I imagine that's 7000 squared?)?
I've only got one light that's casting shadows - and I've turned on "project/receive shadows" for only those objects that require/need them, in an attempt to save memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

KeithRe: Shadow Map memory
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 2:40:50 am

An option is to make and array of four directional lights with smaller shadow map sizes and set their shape to rectangle.

Make sure your lights are as tight as possible on the area your rendering.. per shot.. don't try to light the whole thing if you only seeing part of it.

good luck

Keith Morrison

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved