3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Importing DEM (digital elevation model) data

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan DinanImporting DEM (digital elevation model) data
by on Jun 2, 2005 at 9:35:56 pm

Hello again ;)

I've constructed a DEM model of some terrain I want to use in my animation - it is not exceptionally high-resolution, but is quite large in scale (~70 sq miles worth).

While my sytem has no problem handling the imported mesh of the terrain, navigating around in the scene is proving to be quite difficult. For example, the camera navigation is extremely touchy - just a slight move of the mouse, and I find myself flying straight through the model.
Also, initially, the mesh does not appear in all views - just the perspective view. I have to zoom around and "hunt" for it - and even then, sometimes cannot find the model.

Is this due to the scale of the model? I wouldn;t have expected this to be a problem, as I believe to have set up my world units correctly (ft/miles, 1 unit = 10 ft, etc, ect).
What settings would you reccommend for unit scale on something this large?

Thanks for any help on this!

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Importing DEM (digital elevation model) data
by on Jun 3, 2005 at 1:48:53 am

It is a scale issue. Try this, select scale (uniform of course) and scale it until you are satisfied (try once scale to what you think, create a new camera 35mm, switch to the view port and navigate, see if it is better).This is a common issue. This is probably the wrong way to do it but that's what I've done of the years that seems to work. I'm sure other people (CAD) will have a more accurate way. Hope this helps ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved