3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Scaling objects to an exact dimension

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan DinanScaling objects to an exact dimension
by on Jun 2, 2005 at 9:28:19 pm

I have a model of an airplane - everything in the model is grouped. I'd like to be able to scale with proportion, the entire aircraft group by specifiying a dimension.

For example, I'd like to specify the wingspan to be exactly 124'10" (which is the X axis in the model), and have the rest of the aircraft scale in proportion, based on that new dimension.

However, I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to do this. The scale tool is too inaccurate and course of an adjustment. Aren't there any dialogue boxes where I can specify dimentions based in units (not a percentage)?

Thanks a ton!

Return to posts index

Colin ThomsonRe: Scaling objects to an exact dimension
by on Jun 3, 2005 at 1:32:52 am

Goto "Customize" - Unit Setup. But I don't think that's what you want. First everything should be scaled correctly before "Grouping", if that's the way you want to go. If everything is scaled correctly and in all pieces/objects are group all at once, everything should "uniform scale" properly. If it doesn't maybe you have a whole lot of sub groups upon sub groups. Not to sure if I understand correctly. Hope this helps though.

Return to posts index

James M. MurphyRe: Scaling objects to an exact dimension
by on Jun 5, 2005 at 1:05:39 am

Never Never Never Scale an Object in Max.
Sub Object is another matter.
Ted Boardman does a whole module on how this causes problems in Max.
Rather than attempt to quote the master I would ask you to email Ted
Boardman about this at his email address tedb@tbmax.com
PUH-LEEEZ contact him....he will save you a world of hurt.
Ted's a Great Guy and he will not charge you for this information.
On the other hand if you want to come in to one of our classes and save yourself
months of problems please check out our training center main site
at http://www.virtualpartners.com
There is a Ted Boardman Class coming up this June.

Sell the Talent you have to communicate effectively through graphics. Use the best tool suited to accomplish the Job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved