3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Any solution to use 3ds max on a Mac?

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
limelite
Any solution to use 3ds max on a Mac?
on May 10, 2005 at 5:38:32 pm

Hi everyone,

3ds Max has been highly recommended... however, I do all of my video editing currently on a Mac. Is there any practical solution that would allow me to use 3ds Max on a Mac platform so I can use it along with Final Cut Pro? Thanks!

-Limelite

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Any solution to use 3ds max on a Mac?
on May 10, 2005 at 6:05:00 pm

Hello,

If you are running OSX (which I presume you are), you can network a PC and a Mac easily enough that the best way would be to get an inexpensive PC and just network it with your Mac.

The less optimum way might be to consider one of the Windows emulation programs that runs on the Mac but having one here, we'd not recommend it as a truly workable solution in a production environment.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Mike James
on May 11, 2005 at 3:04:05 pm

Ron,
I have not tested any windows emulation stuff on the Mac, but I do recall reading somewhere that 3D is not realistic or not possible under those emulators. About a year ago I was poking around to do exactly what limelite was asking about and I recall reading that 3D in an emulator on the Mac is not possible. Maybe things (technology) have changed in the last year, but I've not looked into it.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 11, 2005 at 3:21:40 pm

Hi Mark,

I didn't think it would really work but I am aware of some Mac users who actually use emulators. With PCs as inexpensive as they are, I can't imagine bothering with an emulator but wierder things have happened. ;o)

Kathlyn uses her Windows XP emulator on her Powerbook so that she can run web-based PC-only programs when we are on the road.

Thanks for the clarification on 3D, Mark. I know it would be as slow as honey in winter, but is the bigger issue related to OpenGL or something like that???

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Erica
on May 12, 2005 at 3:19:44 pm

I used Virtual pc on my mac but it slows down everything so i'd use another option

Return to posts index

James M. Murphy
on Jun 5, 2005 at 1:17:30 am

Have I got a deal for you! 8-)
We just updated all of our class room machines at http://www.virtualpartners.com and I happen to have
about a dozen Dual PIII 600Mhz Class Intergraph Zx1's with upgraded ram (784 to 1gig) and
GeForce3 TI 200 Graphics Cards as well as an average of 3 40Gig Drives on board.
No Monitors becuase we are using them with the new computers But We do have the Keyboards and Mice.
Make me an offer! You can have a whole render farm for about $800. Bucks if you so desire.
I'm looking for $150. bucks a piece.
Some have Windows 2000 and Some have XP Pro O/S on them.
All are straight out of the class room as-is.
Murph

Sell the Talent you have to communicate effectively through graphics. Use the best tool suited to accomplish the Job.

Return to posts index

Mike James
on Jun 5, 2005 at 6:20:06 am

James, we need to talk... let me throw you an email I use on threads because it does a better job of filtering spam. compositing@gmail.com

Final Cut Studio Training
http://www.finalcutonline.com

Return to posts index

vern
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 11:25:54 pm

James, I am an animation student in search of a reliable, affordable box. If you still have workstations to get rid of, would you email me about them? I don't dare trust a pawn shop purchase and have not come across a used system with the stats for 3d work.

I am always studying in the labs and am trying to get set up at home.

Any info appreciated, Thanks!

Vern's email . . .

mlachi99@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]