3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Wrapping objects around a sphere

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JDWrapping objects around a sphere
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 4:25:29 pm

I am currently faced with an issue regarding resolution in Max. I'm modeling a globe of earth and need to map super high res imagery on it, which I do have. Max limits you to 4000 x 4000 pixels. My next solution is to wrap the sphere with the vector splines/outlines of the same map of earth, but I don't know a way to wrap a rectangle into a perfect sphere. If you can do it with a material, why not a rectangle shape. I have all of the resources at my fingertips, I just can't find a easy solution.

Return to posts index

Paulo KiefeRe: Wrapping objects around a sphere
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 7:57:16 am

There is a compound object called shape merge. This could maybe be used to wrap parts of your world map to the sphere geometry. You could also use the unwrap uwv modifier to flatten the sphere and do some reverse engineering.

/Paulo Kiefe
3ds max forum in Sweden

Return to posts index

JDRe: Wrapping objects around a sphere
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 3:04:59 pm

Thanks for the post Paulo, I actually have used shape merge on this project. It works great on single object with a lot of geometry, but not successfully with an rectangular extrusion of earths continents. Maybe theres a script for this? Either way, it would be much easier if I could just use higher res images, higher than 4000 pixels that is.

Return to posts index

Frank RingwaldRe: Wrapping objects around a sphere
by on May 1, 2005 at 12:17:50 pm

Maybe you are already a step further, but what makes you think, max has a limit in bitmap size for a map?

Frank Ringwald
Digital Artist & Trainer
FX Garden, Berlin

Return to posts index

JDRe: Wrapping objects around a sphere
by on May 2, 2005 at 5:07:11 pm

"Note: Bitmaps can be no larger than 4000 x 4000 pixels (or they will be scaled down to this size) and no smaller than 32 x 32 (or they will be scaled up to this size). Default=off." This was pulled directly off the help file, and I've tested it over and over with resolutions over 4000 pixels. The largest I've got to work is 4000 x 8000, it seems that anything larger gives you an error message, like its an unsupported format. File type isn't making a difference, I use .psd's. Anyway, maybe theres a plugin, or preference setting you can adjust to eliminate this problem.

Return to posts index

hansRe: Wrapping objects around a sphere
by on May 16, 2005 at 1:20:26 pm

um, can't you make a grid of this texture? .. like 4x4000x4000 and then have 4 mapping stacks controlling the object instead ofsetting each texture around the shape. thus making it appear as a single bitmap?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved