3DS MAX: 3ds Max Forum 3ds Max Tutorials

Need a very smooth "frosted" edge on some glass

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TomNeed a very smooth "frosted" edge on some glass
by on Apr 18, 2005 at 7:16:23 am

Hello there,
I have some objects that are made of glass, and I am now trying to finish them by giving their edges a very smooth frosted appearance. I'm having trouble creating this realistic finish.

Think of glass shelves that have a finely polished and "wet sanded" look on their edges (kind of a soft muted color). I need my material to look just like that - ambient (self illuminated) and frosted.

Any ideas on how to approach this. So far my attempts with diffused maps don't look so hot.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Return to posts index

Paulo KiefeRe: Need a very smooth "frosted" edge on some glass
by on Apr 18, 2005 at 7:51:00 pm

Hi,

Do you have any image of photos of what you want to achieve? It would make it easier to "see" and give you some hints.

/Paulo Kiefe
http://www.animate.se
3ds max forum in Sweden

Return to posts index

TomRe: Need a very smooth "frosted" edge on some glass
by on Apr 19, 2005 at 7:36:05 am

Hi there,
Sorry but I do not have anything handy at the moment to show you. However if you do a Google.com Image search for "glass shelves", the very 1st link that returns has a small gallery of glass panels and shelves. There are plenty of other references available besides that one link.

I know some of them are hard to see, but the idea that I'm after is that muted green/black color on the edges of just about every finished glass shelf there is.

The only difference is, I would also like for it to be a more frosted (etched or sandblasted) look. I think the overall appearance will help make the object more realistic.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]