MEMBER VIDEOS: Demo Reels Demo Reels Forum Services Promote Your Service or Business

Motion Design Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac David Quesada
Motion Design Demo Reel
on Jan 6, 2019 at 7:00:07 pm

Hi Fellow Cows

I am sharing my updated demo reel as a motion designer. All comments are not only welcome but highly encouraged and appreciated. I hope we can build some projects together in the future. Have a very creative 2019!

https://vimeo.com/308988990

Freelance Motion Designer

Everything can become an animating tool

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion Design Demo Reel
on Jan 7, 2019 at 8:34:57 pm

Great work and looks like you have had a lot of fun projects to work on. Here are my thoughts. I would shorten it to a minute. For example, after 3 samples of character animation, I got it and didn't need to see more. Also, I'm not sure why you broke the reel into segments. I didn't really see a difference between character animation and motion graphics. And some of the VFX felt out of place such as the ocean shot at the end. I think the VFX where you placed motion graphics on live-action footage would blend into a motion graphics demo reel just fine. Just my two cents, keep up the good work.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Isaac David Quesada
on Jan 8, 2019 at 12:50:18 am

Hi Stephen

Thanks for taking your time to give me your opinion. I do agree with your points. It has been hard as a post producer to try to wrap my work into a single category. I would also like to sell myself as an editor and color grader, but that is too far from motion, I donΒ΄t want it to feel like a random mixture of works. I have the same problem with my website. Still working on how to categorize my work. Your comments are very welcomed. Nice Vimeo site.

I just followed you, would love to work with Savy Productions at some point. You also keep up the good work πŸ˜ƒ

PS. The final shot is very subtle but it is on VFX because I added and tracked an alien planet on the sky. I was wondering if it would get lost due to the rythm of the demo.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 8, 2019 at 3:58:54 pm

I would build a separate reel for Editing and color correction. For the editing reel don't make it a montage like your motion graphics reel. I would let the scene play out so we can get a really good feel for your editing style and how you would treat a scene. If you build a color correction reel I would make it like a montage like the motion graphics reel.

Thanks for the kind words about Savvy Productions work. Isn't it great that we get paid money to do this type of work? Best of luck with 2019.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Isaac David Quesada
on Jan 8, 2019 at 4:14:38 pm

Absolutely great! We are lucky indeed!

I will share my website once I have properly categorized it. Thanks for your advice!

Have a very productive 2019 for you and Savvy Productions my friend!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Mar 18, 2019 at 3:07:13 am

I disagree. I think you can have this all in one reel--if anything it will show potential clients you can do several things and they might miss that if you break it up.

My thoughts are that you could cut this down and keep in under 1:30. I can tell you are really talented, but your work samples are sort of uneven. There are some really strong pieces but there are also some weaker pieces or simpler pieces that perhaps shouldn't be showcased. I'd meet up with a mentor or an experienced advisor and edit it down. I know as the creator, you love everything in there but it often takes an outside set of eyes to break through the bias sometimes. Everyone deals with this to some extent.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Isaac David Quesada
on Mar 18, 2019 at 3:25:04 pm

Hi Kevin,

I appreciate your input very much. I agree with you, it is very hard to get detached from your own work.

I will look into asking people near me what parts of the demo are weaker and can be cut down.

Of course I know it is an awful lot to ask from you but does any particular scene comes to your mind?

Thanks again for taking your time and reviewing my reel. It is a huge help.

http://www.isaacdavid.com.mx

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Mar 23, 2019 at 8:19:29 pm

Here's my two cents.

Green: Solid to Me
Yellow: Questionable (maybe shorter clip or if it can conceptually fit in somewhere)
Red: Feel Weak to Me

These are just my opinions. : )

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Mar 23, 2019 at 8:23:12 pm

Oh, 2 things that I'd like to add.

β€’ The stick man for character animation conceptually feels to simple to me and the animation is sort of angular and stiff. When I think of character animation I think of fluidity and smoothness. Maybe replace it with something less simple or remove that area?

β€’The VFX section feel good in general but I'd cut it down to be tighter. Just get to the meat of each clip and give just enough context so it's understandable.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Isaac David Quesada
on Mar 23, 2019 at 9:20:36 pm

Wow, awesome!

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me this much amount of feedback. It is truly very appreciated and of course I will take it into consideration!

You rock! Thanks my friend!!!

http://www.isaacdavid.com.mx

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Mar 23, 2019 at 9:42:45 pm

No problem. Just a perspective but happy to share it.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Todd Soaper
on Mar 19, 2019 at 8:08:21 pm

Very very nice. The intro part reminded me of Miami Vice graphics.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]