APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Animate objects with audio - Variating a second project using parts of the first

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Maloney
Animate objects with audio - Variating a second project using parts of the first
on Jan 16, 2020 at 1:58:58 am

Hello,
I am making a music video. I like having images (circles, squares, etc.) get bigger, brighter or rotated when the assigned note is hit. The image will be the same for all 24 notes. I am using only 24 different notes.
I will make an object and then replicate it 23 times.
I will have a separate audio source for each note. (I can do this in my music studio).

24 notes (audio sources) going to 24 objects (circles or squares) with different behaviors.

Here is the part which I don't know the best way to do:
For the next song, I want to use a different object. (a thick line)
Do I have to start from scratch or can I make a copy of the previous project and then replace the object (circle) with a different object ( a thick line) in all 24 instances with one command? Possibly in the media window.

Also, if I label my new 24 audio source tracks with the same names as the previous 24 audio clips and if I erase the older audio clips and import the newer audio clips. Will they be matched up correct?

Thanks for your help.
Terry

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Animate objects with audio - Variating a second project using parts of the first
on Jan 16, 2020 at 3:52:51 pm

Sounds like it might work. You won't be starting completely from scratch but I imagine a good deal of the work, including the timing, will have to be re-done to almost that point. Keepingg the groups distinct and well-labeled will help.

If you use image wells and drop-zones, it could maybe be simpler.

I know you can drive behaviors by audio amplitudes, but really the more elegant way you'd want to do something like this is by audio frequency, however I have no idea if you can do that in Motion; I've only ever worked with audio amplitudes to drive an effect. Which I guess is why you need that many tracks.

Sounds like a cool project - hope you post a link to the finished versions.

Return to posts index

Terry Maloney
Re: Animate objects with audio - Variating a second project using parts of the first
on Jan 16, 2020 at 7:43:42 pm

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. I may try the audio EQ method you were talking about.
Let's say I use 3 EQ bands. So that will cut my audio sources to 24 divided by 3 = 8.
But then you have to keep track of which notes are in which EQ band, and you have extra writing giving each image it's unique EQ band.

My music program has a button which will take a midi track and separate all the notes into their own midi tracks.

AS far as the timing - the midi track converted to audio will have the timing built in as long as the sound track is in sync with the main music track.
Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]