APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Adding centered ripples to objects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederik Meuris
Adding centered ripples to objects
on Sep 22, 2019 at 9:08:10 am

First off, sorry for the vague subject. I couldn't think of a better way to describe what I'm after. It's what happens here, around second 42:

A bunch of concentric circles get rippled as a sort of gradient passes through them. Similar like throwing a (magic) stone in a pond, I guess.

I'm stuck at figuring out how to replicate the rippling motion in Motion 5. The color part probably isn't too hard afterwards, combining gradients and overlay modes.

I've been messing around with both the wave and ripple filters, but that doesn't bring me any closer. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Adding centered ripples to objects
on Sep 22, 2019 at 5:01:57 pm

Try using the Concentric Shapes generator like this:

Animating the Phase and the Width works well and obviously you can set your own colours to the "gradient".

Alternatively you could create a gradient using an actual Gradient Generator and use the luminance of the Concentric Shapes generator to mask it which is an easier way to set it up and then you could also animate the gradient if you wanted.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 22, 2019 at 5:07:40 pm

Note that the Light Metal gradient in the gradients library is already set up with a bunch equidistant alternating tabs so you could use this and then apply a Color Curves to tighten up the mask that you apply to your Gradient. Here's an example project:

13737_gradientanimation.motn.zip

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Frederik Meuris
on Sep 29, 2019 at 6:16:00 am

Sorry for the late reply, but this is super helpful. Thank you, Simon!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 29, 2019 at 8:39:14 am

Glad it helped. There are doubtless other ways of doing this (e.g. with a Replicator) but I think this is probably the easiest and closest to what you want.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]