APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Simple but frustrating tracking

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Mitchell
Simple but frustrating tracking
on May 27, 2019 at 3:41:06 am

Hello,

After trying countless tracking plugins, callouts, keyframing I have given up on what appears to be a simple effect many people employ in final cut. The effect in questions is:

(3:05-3:21; 4:44-4:52) I am trying to emulate this type of effect where the lines are able to move in motion with the body for sports, like slow-mo jumping in basketball. I see this effect a lot as well in short fitness Instagram where people try to demonstrate the proper form and movement of a particular muscle group.

I can tell that the text in the video appears to be callout plugins with built-in trackers. But the lines and the way they conform to the body movement is something I cannot do and it's frustrating me since I see this everywhere but can't find an explanation on it.

Can anyone please assist, either through a short video or explanation? As frustrating as it has been, I am also fascinated by video editing and find this to be very fun. But I've finally hit my first wall in trying to complete a certain task. If more explanation or examples are needed, I'd be happy to provide! Much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
Re: Simple but frustrating tracking
on May 29, 2019 at 8:34:17 am

Have you tried core melt's Track X or Drive X. Looks like something they would do fairly well.
https://coremelt.com

Kirk Pitts.
video amateur.
Personal skateboard and band historian. ;)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 29, 2019 at 8:43:00 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on May 29, 2019 at 8:47:10 am

The lines look VERY hand-keyframed, which I'm assuming they are. Then then simply used something like mCallouts from motionVFX for the rest.

If you don't have actual track points on the model in and for a case like that, then no software is going to do very well i.e. better than Motion's point-tracker. Which you can in fact use to track individual points of a line, in case you didn't know.

- RK

Return to posts index

Nate Mitchell
on May 29, 2019 at 12:28:05 pm

Dear Robin,

Thank you for responding an explaining. Yes, I believe this must have been hand keyframed. I am not expert at apple motion/FCPX, so I'll try my best to explain what I figured out in the time before I saw this response. Basically, I drew a simple line in Motion 5 and attached it to the plane of motion. Then I changed the cursor from "point" to "distort" and then hit the "red record" button, and for about 5-10 frames I would follow/adjust the line in accordance to the movement. Does that make sense? It seemed to work really well.

With regards to track points, do you have an article or video that I can learn more about it? When I used Track Point on my own, it seemed to actually distort/widen the line at certain parts of the movement. I don't know if that makes sense so I apologize again. I am very much a novice at this but am hoping to improve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]