APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Strange client request. Any thoughts??

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Strange client request. Any thoughts??
on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:00:41 pm

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. I have a potential client who wants us to deliver different still graphics and video clip files to stretched / ultra-wide LCD (LED backlight) bar cut displays. 1/3 cut display. Can this be done in motion

The specs for the display is 28-inch wide x 6 inches high, 1920 x 357 (resolution), 16:3 aspect ratio, 70 pixels per inch (PPI), response time 8mSec, wide viewing angle, 0.3637mm(H)(V) pixel pitch

Have you guys ever head of this? They've also asked the following questions:

1. What is the largest size video clip that can be put on the screen without distorting the video? We are looking at 2 to 3 different images (still graphic and/or streaming video clip) on the display at a time
2. Can you shoot film specifically for this size screen (see specs above)?
3. Can you convert existing video files to fit this size screen? What methods / how would this be accomplished?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Strange client request. Any thoughts??
on Feb 14, 2017 at 2:28:03 pm

If you want to output 1920x357 from Motion, simply go to the Project settings and enter these values there.

PPI is not something that applies to video FWIW.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 14, 2017 at 3:59:02 pm

[Greg Ball] "1. What is the largest size video clip that can be put on the screen without distorting the video? We are looking at 2 to 3 different images (still graphic and/or streaming video clip) on the display at a time
2. Can you shoot film specifically for this size screen (see specs above)?
3. Can you convert existing video files to fit this size screen? What methods / how would this be accomplished?"

1920x357 is the same width as a normal 1080 frame but only about a quarter of the height, so it's not very high resolution.

If you are planning on one video in the frame it would need to be 1920 pixels wide to avoid quality loss. If you want to put three videos side by side, they would only need to be 640 pixels wide to avoid quality loss.

You can't shoot specifically in this aspect ratio, but you can tape up your monitor to see what you are going to get when you crop it to this size.

If you want to use existing video, which is typically 16:9 thee days, then you will need to lose roughly three quarters of the height, which you will do by cropping the image. If you place it within a Motion project that is set to 1920x357 as recommended above, then all you need to do is make sure that it fills the frame left and eight and then adjust the vertical position to you get the segment of the image you want to see. If you are using older 4:3 video you will be losing even more of the height of the original image.

In short, you are talking about stretching, when you need to be thinking about cropping.

Does that make sense?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Feb 14, 2017 at 5:17:09 pm

Thanks Simon.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Jay Cederholm
on Feb 22, 2017 at 5:42:20 pm

Greg,

I just finished a project with a final delivery of 1920x467.
My process was to edit in FCPX with the standard 1920x1080 timeline/project. This allowed me to avoid a custom frame size and I was able to output/view on an external monitor.
I had created a custom 1920x467 mask (PNG image) simply placed on the top most "layer" so I could frame the shots accordingly. Often times I had 2 or 3 shots filling up the now very narrow aspect.
Once the edit was done I ran the exported 1920x1080 file through compressor (with custom crop settings) to create the final cropped version of 1920x467.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]