APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Can a drop zone cointain sound?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
Can a drop zone cointain sound?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:31:47 pm

I've googled for this but I could not find an answer. I've creatd a template in motion with a drop zone I want to use in final cut. Now I "drop" a video with audio into that drop zone but I won't hear any audio and I also don't see any waveform so is the short answer: NO drop zones can't contain videos WITH sound?

So what can I do about this? Put my original clip with the audio underneath the generator and try to match it so that the sound matches exactly?

Thanks a lot in advance

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Can a drop zone cointain sound?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:40:00 pm

You are correct, a DZ, or any published Motion project for that matter, cannot contain sound in FCP X. You need to add it manually as a connected clip.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:28:15 am

I have to admit this ruins my entire plan and I already think of giving up Motion and switching back to After Effects because there are more limitations that are totally unnecessary coding wise but yet Apple decided to code it that way…it doesn’t really make much sense in all fairness.

I will try to explain what I am trying to do and maybe you can give me some advice and hits how to tackle this or the answer is „doesn’t work. The end“.

So I have an intro animation with a flexible date that can be changed in FCPX (I’ve created a generator in Motion) followed by a drop zone that animates in that introduces people. I need to edit all the footage of the introductions together. Now I thought I could simply drop a time line (aka a „Project“ in FCPX) into the drop zone that contains my entire edited material of people introducing themselves. I would also add ONE frame with a solid that fills the entire frame (connected clip) so that I can later synchronize/match my audio because Drop Zones don’t support audio. So I could have had the clip with audio underneath my generator and then matched it with the frame that contains the solid. Since Drop Zones can’t contain Projects either I seriously have NO idea how to tackle this problem at all.

So any advice, thought or solution for a work around would be welcome because at this point I really don’t know what to do which is frustrating after I have been so amazingly happy and proud about the combination of Motion and FCPX.

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 17, 2016 at 8:24:34 am

[Michael Paul] "and I already think of giving up Motion and switching back to After Effects"

Huh? Sorry, but how would that change anything?? Doing it in AE would require rendering it out first to use it in FCP, something that you can just as well do in Motion. Never mind that AE doesn't even have anything such as Dropzones to begin with.

[Michael Paul] "it doesn’t really make much sense in all fairness."

In all fairness, it does actually. If you understand how Motion works and its intent and purpose in the context of FCP. Enabling the inclusion of audio would be fine in some cases, such as maybe this one, but reek complete havoc in many many other cases. So your frustration would simply change from "I can't add audio!" to "I can, but it's not working as expected!".

[Michael Paul] "So any advice…"

Is the animation so intricate that it can't be done in FCP and simply saved as an Effect Preset to be applied to others? If so, then I'd say you're left with rendering out the individual animations (which shouldn't be a big deal if you have everything set up as a template already anyway). Something, like I said, you'd have to with AE as well, so I have no idea what advantage you figure a switch would give you.

Or simply manually syncing with the original audio in FCP. Which I can't imagine being horribly complicated, though more work than just feeding a template, yes.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2016 at 5:58:35 am

What you really want to create is a title. Titles can do everything a generator does, plus include the background and that background can be used essentially like a drop zone. So you would lay the motion title above the video in FCP that you want used. It could be masked and affected just like a drop zone but with more accuracy. And, the audio would remain since it's in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]