APPLE MOTION: Motion Forum Motion Tutorials FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Motion as a photoshop replacement

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David ChaiMotion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 26, 2016 at 10:52:55 pm

I had a green screen photoshoot for a poster, and was thinking of a clean way to take out the background, then decided to try motion to do a custom comp at 4050x 6000 pixel resolution.

Guess what! It works! You can export a still frame from this comp size and you can use Motion pretty much like a photoshop replacement since you have all the brushes and also the layers and filters. In fact I'll have to say that I almost like it better since you have green screen tools that are superior.

So I proceeded to finish the poster in Motion, and will be using Motion in future for Still graphics as well as motion graphics. Initially I tried 8100 x 12000 pixel resolution, and that worked to export a .mov, but not a still frame. Anyway I didn't need it to be such a high resolution, so I cut the size in half and it works great!

Just thought I'd share for those who were looking at photoshop alternatives to do some still image graphics.

David

------------------------
David Chai - Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 10:05:45 am

[David Chai] "for those who were looking at photoshop alternatives to do some still image graphics."

That's what I personally have…

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

… for.

- RK

Return to posts index

Lawrence EatonRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 3:07:44 pm

I can thoroughly recommend Affinity Photo for its functionality and speed (the price ain't bad, either)

Lawrence

Return to posts index

David ChaiRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 4:28:09 pm

Guys, I already have Affinity Photo.

Not sure you read or tried to understand my post. I dare you to try keying a Green Screen photo in Affinity Photo, and see if you think you like the result versus using the keyer in motion with complete matte tools and edge cleanup and light wrap tools.

Just keep an open mind and you may be surprised. I just wanted to share using motion for something unorthodox but I found worked much better than I expected.

David

------------------------

Return to posts index

Robin S. KurzRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 4:41:57 pm

Wow. Inappropriately defensive much?

If anything, when it comes to A STILL, I most definitely can achieve exponentially better results for that kind of task in Photo, yes. The exact same tools exist (and then some) in Photo, only under a different name.

- RK

Return to posts index

David ChaiRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Aug 27, 2016 at 5:53:55 pm

Sorry Robin,
I wasn't meaning to be giving attitude. I've had another look at Affinity photo's tools and it seems it is indeed much better than using Motion. I found the selection brush tool works pretty well. If you have more specific tools and techniques to share for green screen that would be appreciated.
David

------------------------

Return to posts index

Tangier ClarkeRe: Motion as a photoshop replacement
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 2:09:59 am

I've been using Pixelmator for years now and really love it for jut getting things done quickly and leveraging editorial plugins that I have. I have only used Affinity when it was in beta phase and it was very impressive.

For now Pixelmator has done what I need and I go to Photoshop if I need anything beyond that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]